New strange shifting/pedal problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 09:51 AM
CSP Resident Spooby

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New strange shifting/pedal problem

So, I have a new problem that decided to rear it's ugly head last night/this morning...

I first noticed it last night. I had just back out of the driveway to turn my truck around and back in the driveway. When I switched from reverse to drive, the check engine light came on and the gas pedal did nothing, like the sensor had called it quits. About 3 to 4 seconds later, the CEL went out and the pedal was functioning fine again.

This morning, I went for a drive, and for the first few miles everything was fine. I stopped at a stop sign, and when I went to go, I hit the gas, and nothing. I let up and hit it again, and it took off like normal. So then, I turned around about a mile down the road. After backing up and putting it back in Drive (had to make a 3-point turn), again, the gas pedal did nothing. I hit the pedal again, and just like at the stop sign, it went. I got up to like 10 mph and let off, because the stop sign was only about 20 feet away. Now this is when the tranny started acting up. It shifted really hard into 2nd while coasting towards the stop sign. I took off from the stop sign, and at about 12mph it shortshifted into 2nd (I think the TC locked up at this point), so it was lugging pretty good. Immediately after that, it downshifted like it was back in first (I was going about 18 at that point), but then immediately shifted back into 2nd, with the TC locking again. About 2 seconds later, it shorted shifted into 3rd, at about 22 mph. It still went into OD at the right time for the amount of throttle I was giving it (~40 mph).

Along with the erratic shifting, all of the shifts were really hard. And now, it does this everytime I take off from a light/stop sign.

Any suggestions to what this might be? Failing gas pedal sensor? . I just finished the D60 swap last night and was all excited, but now I got this

Also, I just took it to have it scanned for codes, thinking that since the CEL had illuminated a few times, maybe there was some codes in there somehwere. Fortunately and unfortunately, there wasn't. But what I thought was really strange, is that when the scanner was hooked up, when the guy pressed enter, my truck started loping hardcore for a few seconds, barely running. He tried scanning it again after that, and this time when he pressed enter on the scanner, the truck loped hardcore again, and this time it died. It fired right back up though. Any insight as to what this might be all about?

EDIT: I suppose I should have posted this in the problem forum. Mods feel free to move this thread if need be.

Last edited by nine6stroker; 10-24-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010, 07:57 AM
CSP Resident Spooby

Really? Nobody has any ideas? I want to get her back on the road!!
Old 10-25-2010, 08:03 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
alright my project truck did this a while back, try the connections on your pedal. they can wiggle around a big seeing as how its an all electric setup. As for the trans is the OD light flashing? leave the truck sit for 2 hours with the batteries unhooked and let the system reset, If it goes away then comes back get that thing on a computer quick cause your trans is starting its inevitable journey towards failing
Old 10-25-2010, 08:21 AM
CSP Resident Spooby

I hadn`t happened to look at the OD light , when it was flashing, guess I should have done that... If I can get it to do it again (after I fix my brakes ) I`ll take note of it.

I would sure hope it`s not failing, cause the tranny only has like 25k on it! And it was brand new! I don`t think it`s the tranny itself, because it`s random. My buddy drove it for like 25 miles yesterday and he said the tranny/pedal didnt act up once, but he did lose the brakes...
Old 10-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

some places when they rebuild a transmission they use a reman solenoid pack, they can go bad randomly so that could be causing the crazy shifting and TC lock. best thing to do is get it on a computer
Old 10-25-2010, 08:43 AM
CSP Resident Spooby

By computer, do you mean scanner?

and I can`t take it anywhere until I fix my brake fitting that that is spewing fluid, and then I have to wait until my dad gets home later this week from his hunting trip to be able to bleed the brakes... until then, my truck isnt going anywhere... and I`m stuck in a house full of women
Old 10-25-2010, 11:08 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

You can bleed the brakes yourself sorta, either way yes a scanner
Old 10-25-2010, 11:38 AM
CSP Resident Spooby

I did have it on a scanner yesterday, twice actually. Both times, they got nothin'. They said they would probably only get any codes if the CEL light was on. Of course, once I figured out how to get the CEL light to stay on, I couldn't get it to do it again when I had a scanner hooked to it.

Of course, I was having it tested at Autozone, and the scanner they had looked pretty basic.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

You gotta get a good scanner to read trans codes. might have to bite the bullet and go to a ford garage
Old 10-25-2010, 12:44 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

well my auto class shop has some good scanners... except I have no way of getting my truck there with no brakes

would it show codes for like a bad TCM or shift solenoid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.