Amazing Windshield Wiper Discovery - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up Amazing Windshield Wiper Discovery

Alright today while I was putting on new wipers I found out something amazing! Ever since I have had my truck the drivers side stopping point of the wiper is off and blocks my view of the center of the hood to judge as to where I am on the road. I have searched and searched on how to adjust this and move it down, to no avail I found nothing! Many sources were saying you had to take everything apart and all this other crap. Well our trucks have this nifty little stop bar (best way to explain it). When you pull the wiper blade away from the window there is a tab you pull up and it holds it in place away from the window (I assume for the winter months when you don't want your wipers frozen to your windshield). Well this also holds the whole assembly to the gear that drives the wiper!! I know amazing right!

So how to adjust your wipers!

1- Pull wiper away from windshield and pull tab up (you might need needle nose pliers or at least thats what I used).
2- Wiggle assembly back and forth while pulling away from window to pull off the drive gear.
3- Adjust down or up wherever you want it.
4- Push wiper assembly back on to the drive gear.
5- Pull blade out a little bit to push the tab back down to its resting position and to secure the wiper assembly to the drive gear.
6- Enjoy new wiper positions and satisfaction of knowing what you now know.

I found this out just by luck and tinkering and hope that it helps and hasn't been posted before. Here also are some pictures of this!

Amazing Windshield Wiper Discovery-imag0008.jpg
Amazing Windshield Wiper Discovery-imag0009.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 05:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

very interesting! would be great to slip like a plastic sock over the blade during ice storms.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:58 AM

Who woulda thunk it.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Common Ford wiper system. The wiper arm is splined and slides onto the drive. Pull tab up, slide off, adjust. Never thought about the "cool factor" because I've always had Ford products and never knew anything else. Guess it is kinda neat...

Make sure you wipe a tiny dab of anti-sieze around the inside of the female portion. Then you'll be able to pop it on & off without the "wiggling". Sometimes they get stuck on there pretty tight.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable View Post
Common Ford wiper system. The wiper arm is splined and slides onto the drive. Pull tab up, slide off, adjust. Never thought about the "cool factor" because I've always had Ford products and never knew anything else. Guess it is kinda neat...

Make sure you wipe a tiny dab of anti-sieze around the inside of the female portion. Then you'll be able to pop it on & off without the "wiggling". Sometimes they get stuck on there pretty tight.
pre 87 Chevy's are the same way, as are most vehicles I'm guessing (in regards to the splined shaft for the wipers).
Old 10-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

No idea... like I said, I'm sheltered when it comes to other brands
Old 10-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well see this is my first ford and also the first time ever tinkering with the wipers and I had searched the forum before and didnt find anything on the wipers so I was just tickled pink thinkin I found something that wasnt on here lol I had a 87 Chev but never messed with the wipers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.