Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Amazing Windshield Wiper Discovery

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  97Stroker54 
#1 ·
Alright today while I was putting on new wipers I found out something amazing! Ever since I have had my truck the drivers side stopping point of the wiper is off and blocks my view of the center of the hood to judge as to where I am on the road. I have searched and searched on how to adjust this and move it down, to no avail I found nothing! Many sources were saying you had to take everything apart and all this other crap. Well our trucks have this nifty little stop bar (best way to explain it). When you pull the wiper blade away from the window there is a tab you pull up and it holds it in place away from the window (I assume for the winter months when you don't want your wipers frozen to your windshield). Well this also holds the whole assembly to the gear that drives the wiper!! I know amazing right!

So how to adjust your wipers!

1- Pull wiper away from windshield and pull tab up (you might need needle nose pliers or at least thats what I used).
2- Wiggle assembly back and forth while pulling away from window to pull off the drive gear.
3- Adjust down or up wherever you want it.
4- Push wiper assembly back on to the drive gear.
5- Pull blade out a little bit to push the tab back down to its resting position and to secure the wiper assembly to the drive gear.
6- Enjoy new wiper positions and satisfaction of knowing what you now know.

I found this out just by luck and tinkering and hope that it helps and hasn't been posted before. Here also are some pictures of this! :icon_ford:

Auto part

See less See more
#2 ·
very interesting! would be great to slip like a plastic sock over the blade during ice storms.

#4 ·
Common Ford wiper system. The wiper arm is splined and slides onto the drive. Pull tab up, slide off, adjust. Never thought about the "cool factor" because I've always had Ford products and never knew anything else. Guess it is kinda neat...

Make sure you wipe a tiny dab of anti-sieze around the inside of the female portion. Then you'll be able to pop it on & off without the "wiggling". Sometimes they get stuck on there pretty tight.

#7 ·
Well see this is my first ford and also the first time ever tinkering with the wipers and I had searched the forum before and didnt find anything on the wipers so I was just tickled pink thinkin I found something that wasnt on here lol I had a 87 Chev but never messed with the wipers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.