Buying used, what to look for? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buying used, what to look for?

Hey guys,
Been checking out the site and there is some pretty good info here. I'm in the marked for a 1992-1997 7.3L XLT Crewcab long bed 4x4. I've always wanted one and I'm ready to "pull the trigger" on one. I've found two that I like and am going to go look at them soon.

#1 is 1997 XLT CCLB with 119000 mi. Bone stock
#2 is 1994 XLT CCLB with 114000 mi. 4" Lift kit

(Both at dealerships, not private sellers)

I'm a pretty mechanical guy, but don't know alot about diesels (just the fact that it sounds like this generation of truck with this engine is arguably one of the best/longest lasting trucks ever made). Without getting too into it, what kind of things should I be looking/listening for when I go look at these? What are the common "problem items" with these trucks. What things seem to always go wrong/break/or malfunction on these things? What kind of questions should I be asking? I know its a pretty broad/general question, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2010, 06:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Major items to check-
Pull the intake tubing off with the motor cold and try to wiggle the nut you can see inside the turbo- a little side to side play is normal (as long as the wheel doesn't hit the housing), ANY in and out play is bad. The edges of the blades on the turbo wheel should be relatively sharp and straight- no nicks, gouges, excessively rounded edges, etc.
Check the intake tubing (especially the red boot at the turbo if it still has one) for cracks.
Get a good flaslight (not one of those small LED pieces of crap) and look down in the valley of the engine- there should be no puddles of any liquid in there
Depending on outside temps where you are, check for white smoke immediately after you start it. If its cold out and the truck has a hard time starting and smokes white then the glow plugs are probably bad (remember, it's a diesel and if its in the 50's or lower give the glow plugs a few seconds to heat up before trying to start it).
Check the coolant for SCA levels if at all possible
Those are the major items. Of course don't forget the regular stuff like brakes, ball joints, tie rod ends, tire wear, etc. If you can, take someone familiar with Powerstrokes with you. Someone with access to something like AutoEnginuity would be a big plus.
Personally I would choose the 97 over the 94... but both sound like they have a lot of promise. Good luck, post pics of whatever one you end up with!
Old 09-14-2010, 06:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

^ what he said. also, youmay know already but, 94.5 is when psd came into play. they made a 94 turbo diesel that snot a psd, just fyi. go for the psd. i too would go for the 97

Old 09-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks alot guys. VERY helpful. Makes me not even wanna go look at the 94 now. Good stuff about the checking turbo too.

Thanks Again. BTW- How would I know if the 94 has the "good" PSD or not?...

Last edited by jatty26; 09-14-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.