99 - f250 powerstoke, cross members cut! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 - f250 powerstoke, cross members cut!

Hey everyone, I am brand spankin new to this site, so be nice....
I just picked up a 1999 F250 Powerstroke, 7.3L. I got it for $3300 cdn, and it has about 350,000kms, on it, now it does need some work, ie. the turbo is done.

But that doesnt bother me, what bothers me is that when I went crawling around underneath I was looking at the oil pan for leaks and what not, and noticed that the cross members right below the pan were cut with a torch, and then welded back on - no doubt to access the oil pan to replace it... the welds look pretty ****, what is the best thing to do here? Just get under and weld it up nice? I'm not sure if its a factor for getting the truck saftied. I hate people who dont do things the right way! Any advice would be great, as I am scared this truck will turn in to a money pit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would just grind it down and weld it up nice and clean again. Maby for peace of mind fish plate it. If you have to get it inspected make it look as clean and neat at possible. they can be a little pissy about things like that
Old 09-16-2010, 04:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok, cool, thats what I will do... what exactly does fish plating mean?
Old 09-16-2010, 04:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Fishplate is a structural reinforcement by laying a piece of steel over a joint and welding it on. Lots of different ways to do them, and even more opinions on how to do them right. Many people say only weld the long sides of the plate, as welding the short sides too will weaken the joint... Alot of people like a diamond shaped plate, others say the points cause stress risers, I prefer a diamond with rounded "tips", reduces chance of creating new stress risers and also increases the length of the weld...

See link below for a modified triagle fishplate with a hole in the middle for more weld...

http://www.trailslesstraveled.com/co...dgussetted.jpg
Old 09-16-2010, 07:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is the cross member made of "tensile" steel? if so is there anything special to do when it comes to welding?.... and before I start (well my buddy who can weld starts) Also should I do anything else besides to disconnect the batteries? I just wouldnt want to fry any of the electrical components. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.