Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

DIY intake

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  CT Performance, Inc. 
#1 ·
im making my own intake. not sure want filter to use the napa 6637 or a spectre with bag. i got a nice peace of aluminum 4'' pipe i polished and cleared.

#2 ·
#4 ·
:drool:
I'm jealous.

Ever since going self employed I've lost access to a fully stocked aviation style machine/fabricating shop. Complete with OVERFLOWING scrap bins of everything from stainless steel billets, sheet aluminum, casters...... EVERYTHING.

And last night while fabricating for my OBS I sure was missing all the prime pieces I used to get.

And by the way, my HOMEGROWN intake mod is half way done. It's no longer a DIY Tymar, I'm going all original with the exception of the standard filter every one uses.

#6 ·
Sure, I'll be posting pics in my shutterfly site. It's linked in my sig, pics are in the album labeled truck.

We're doing a birthday party for my 6yr old son today. So maybe tonight I'll get a chance to do a little more work and then load a few more pics.

#7 ·
Just a FYI:

The problem with heat shields and routing air through intake boxes is that whenever you direct air flow, you increase restriction. Low restriction is the goal, so using a filter that has the ability to flow large masses of air and then enclosing it in a box yields very poor results. Heat shields do literally nothing. Air flow under the hood is dynamic and not static. It is moving all the time. Hot air will move right around a heat shield at the same temperature and be ingested and the only thing you have caused is turbulence.

Aside from impeding minimal radial clearance and isolation of engine vibration, a serious cause for concern is placing the filter, especially a 6637 element, under a rain drip channel for the hood. Beyond the ambient moisture that will cause restriction as it is absorbed into the non-hydrophobic media, you will be directing water towards the filter anytime the rain drip channel flows more rain than it can hold or spills over the retainer during left turns.

Cary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.