Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Picked up a 96 CRW LB 4X4

3K views 33 replies 9 participants last post by  superduty4x4 
#1 ·
Well as title says picked it up for $2000.00 Body is in great shape as is the interior. It does have a lot of blow by but runs well. The guy i bought it from thought there was a hole in a piston. There is no metal in the oil so I dont think thats the issue. Pulled the CCV and its clear checked exhaust temps with a laser reader at each exhaust port and there all within 5 deg of each other.

I did find out the last owner put 3 bottles of fuel injection cleaner in the truck the the blow by started a few hours after that. I bet i am looking at new injectors.

The truck has 176K miles on it and is a 5 spd. I have been looking for on for a long time. Just hope I did not bite off to much. :)

Started pulling the air filter off and oh no a K and N filter. the box and tubes are coated in sticky filter oil and dirt stuck everywhere. The leading edges of the turbo are a bit chewed up but zero play in it. The intake boot on the turbo was torn on the underneath side. So the replacement part list starts. sigh..

Thats as far as i got before it was time to go to work.

I will take some pics and update the forum as i find more. Too fun..

See less See more
#2 ·
nice find. sounds like it needs work but thats a good price.

#4 ·
Even if it needs a turbo and injectors, your gonna be in by way under $5000. SOunds like a good deal to me. Where's the pics?

#6 ·
pulled the valve covers and fired her up, she runs much smother without all that crank case pressure. The smoke and blow by comes up the push rod journals on both banks. With the Pass cover off you can hear the woosh of the bad cyl. Waiting on the Comp tester i ordered for exact results. But its not looking good. Never rebuilt a diesel this should be fun.

Here are a few photos of the truck.

Attachments

#7 ·
Nice looking truck! Hopefully wont kill you to get er back in ship shape.

#11 ·
Wow that stove is a good find. If you can get the truck back on the road for 2 or 3k total ur laughing!

#12 ·
Thats what i figured. went threw a few things on it and all the elect. works great

The clutch had issue so i started under the dash and yep the bushing is gone. Not only that but the push rod has wore half way threw the pivot shaft.

The E-brake does not work at all, have not pulled the back brakes off yet but it all looks good forward of those.

more to come when i get a day off. :thumb:

#13 ·
You would think that after 100 years of auto manufacturing someone would have come up with a better e-brake system than a totally exposed metal cable hanging under the entire length of your truck :doh:

#17 ·
did the comp test and 2 cyl are totally dead. 0 psi. one on each bank. pulled the motor yesterday. (what a pain) hardest motor to pull i have ever come across.

Got the pass head off and the pistons all look good. when at the top of the bore. rotate them down and wow loads of play. So I have cone shaped cyl.. Now to find a local machine shop that will bore this pig. Any one now of issues boring 40 over? increased temps? shorter engine life?

Tell you this rebuilt or not I will get 10 mpg better just from the crime weight I will lose cleaning the motor and engine compartment up. I had to dig to find most the nuts and bolts to get the dang thing out.

On another not I bent the fanas I could not for the life of me her it off the water pump.Wanting to go electric so any one know the CFM rating I would need? I live in AZ where its over 100 deg all to often.

Thanks.

#19 ·
Found a good machine shop here locally. Pulled the pass head last night and dropped it. cut my forearms and hands up pretty good trying to hang on the the heavy sob. Heads ok but found the big blow by issue. the 3rd piston back i split right down the middle horizontally. The bore still looks good so i think the block is still good. Will take it down tomorrow to the machine shop. Will take a pic tonight of the bad piston and post it. .

#20 ·
Any idea what they are talking dollars wise? Are they just looking after the block/heads and you will do the rest of the rebuild yourself?

How much money are you looking to spend? I don't know much about the topic personally but I think there a few things you should seriously consider doing since you have the motor out and stripped anyway.

I can post a link to this thread in the OBS chat thread and try to get you a little more informed input if you want.

#21 ·
Well when i first talked to them the price was $325 for a 30 over bore line bore new cam bearing installed and freeze plugs.

I have not got a price for having them do the whole short block yet.

I agree with you on other things to do while it is out. Will upgrade the HPOP new injectors and a electric fuel system are on the list to do before it goes back in.

I am always up for suggestions to other things I should address or upgrade. That link would be great.

Thanks

#22 ·
I meant strength related improvements too. I'll post the link. Hopefully some of the more educated guys wade in. Might as well build a decent stove if you are this far into it already right?

#23 ·
well man, since you already got the heads off and are rebuildin anyway, headstuds wouldnt be a bad idea, not sure how much your lookin for power-wise, but maybe upgrade the turbo if your goin with bigger injectors, you already listed upgraded hpop and elec. fuel, an intercooler wouldnt hurt either since your in the heat of Arizona, and also, most importantly, GUAGES!!! keep an eye on everything so this dont happen again

#24 ·
all good points. Gauges are ordered already, Head studs are on my list now. Tossing the bigger turbo idea around and a intercooler is a must.

This truck will have a 10 camper on it most the time and pulling a 18 foot horse trailer with 2 to 3 1000lb horses in it.

Looking for about 350HP I dont need more then that I hope.

#25 ·
what size injectors ya goin with?? stage 1's, and a d66 turbo from beans would be a good reliable setup for shat your lookin for, and you mighta said already, but what kinda chip you lookin at?

#26 ·
Just so ya know, if you need any engine parts, i have 2 7.3's sitting in my garage.

#30 ·
Blocks at the machine shop now. Will see what they say in a few days. There goign to hot tank it and measure the bores and mains then call me.

On a side note I am in need of a dip stick tube. I lost my grip on the head and down it went. Taking the tube out and a good section of skin off my hands as well.
The tube ended up breaking where it pushes in, and if I new it pulled out there i would have pulled it. sigh..

Live and learn and heal up .

#31 ·
I'm still not sure how you broke it...were you trying to take it out?

Have changed a couple on SDs and we just get them from Ford...not sure how much tho.

#32 ·
the whole embarrassing story? grin.. ok the motors on the stand and I am pulling the pass head. The exhaust manifold is still on the head so the tub is between them.I had planned to lift the whole assy up and over the tube. It did not work out that way. I got the head about half way up it slipped and away it went.

I will check the dealer for the tube. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.