Changing the oil in my 97 PSD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Changing the oil in my 97 PSD

Hey guys I just bought a 97 PSD! Its an auto 4x4 with 106K miles! SRW and single cab and its awesome! I love the truck to death! I just have a few questions but mostly about changing the oil! I have been told its not just like changing the oil in your normal gasser! I havent been able to find a whole lot of info on the subject but i read and have been told that before draining the oil from your oil pan that you take the filter off first? Is this true and why!? I will be changing my oil this weekend so any help before friday is great! and then also what can i do to increase my fuel mileage? I drove from salt lake to san diego empty and I got 13.7? I was hoping to get more then that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Pull the plug and let it drain, take the filter off...the order makes no difference.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:59 AM

as for mileage, upgarde the intake and exhaust. if your emissions laws will let you. the DIY 6637 intake in the Tech Section, and at the very least get rid of the flat downpipe if it still has it. if your up to it straight pipe the rest or at least delete the cat if it has one. last in the list is guges and chip. youll improve mikleage by keeping it out of the boost, then if you want a custom chip some peple seem 1 to 4mpg's out of them. but you get more power with an economy tune, so youll have to stay out of the boost that much more.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:19 PM

I agree with ridiculously necessary, I'm still sportin the stock downpipe for now, but I'm straight piped the rest of the way out, and an aftermarket filter (both were done prior to my ownership). The main thing is to not use the new power your stroker will make! Keep the rpms low and you'll be good.

As far as the oil change, it's no different than a gasser except it holds a BUNCH of oil!

Although I did hear one time that you are supposed to drain the oil out of the HPOP reservoir and refill but I've never tried it. Anyone else heard this?
Old 09-01-2010, 01:27 PM

lol yes, over and over and over. honestly the oil is supposed to go from teh low pressure pump, to the hpop res., into the rails, through the injectors and drain back down to the crank case. (or some close variation of that) most will say its not necessary.

i will try it once soon for s&g's. ive seen a couple vids where the oil that comes from the hpop is thicker and nastier looking than the crank case oil. so i wonder if the high pressure and slower moving oil up there has time to settle when the engine is off and create a buildup. so yes, ill try it just to see what happens for myself. if its interesting ill post it. but in short, not supposed to be necessary.

Last edited by ridiculously_necessary; 09-01-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculously_necessary View Post
lol yes, over and over and over. honestly the oil is supposed to go from teh low pressure pump, to the hpop res., into the rails, through the injectors and drain back down to the crank case. (or some close variation of that) most will say its not necessary.

i will try it once soon for s&g's. ive seen a couple vids where the oild that comes from the hpop is thinker and nastier looking than the crank case oil. so i wonder if the high pressure and slower moving oil up there has time to settle when the engine is off and create a buildup. so yes, ill try it just to see what happens for myself. if its interesting ill post it. but in short, not supposed to be necessary.
Thanks! Keep us posted
Old 09-01-2010, 01:58 PM

When I change my oil. I use a wrench to break the filter loose(just hand tight) then punch a hole in the bottom with a screwdriver and let it drain first, then remove.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruss View Post
When I change my oil. I use a wrench to break the filter loose(just hand tight) then punch a hole in the bottom with a screwdriver and let it drain first, then remove.
Good feedback, been changing oil in my 97 since new and I pull the oil plug, poke a hole in the bottom of the filter, go have a beer while it drains. Draining the filter before removing is just a convenient idea for easier removal. I always add a quart of oil to the new filter before installing.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Awesome! I wasnt expecting so many replies so soon! Thanks guys! I will let yall know how my first oil change goes lol and as for the mileage i guess it makes sense i got 13.7 i was at about 2100-2200 rpms the whole way which means it had the turbo spooled the whole way. Anyone heard of changing out the rear pumpkin to a lower gear ratio?
Old 09-02-2010, 01:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners & Mechanics
Good video section on oil changes and changing the oil in the HPOP. Enjoy diesels are the only way to go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.