Laws regarding gutted cat and straight pipe - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 06:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Laws regarding gutted cat and straight pipe

I've noticed most people have gutted or deleted the cat. How are you passing inspection? In in pa and the law is if it came with one it's got to be there. I've thought about just cutting our a section and putting it in each time it goes for inspection.

Also required by law is a muffler. What are you doing about running straight pipes? I don't want to get pulled over and the cop to write me a ticket for no muffler or cat with.

Thanks in advance for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 06:36 AM

Cat delete you cant pass inspection as for as I know. I did cause I know the right people. As for not having a muffler, Ive heard that turbo charged vehicles dont have to have one cause the turbo acts as a muffler. Not for sure.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:37 AM

well im not positive about the law but im runnen straight pipe to a 7" stack and cops seem to love it around here in southern md. but from my understanding about the muffler is that because we have a turbo we dont need a muffler. thats why the dodge neon srt-4 didnt have mufflers. but i belive they do consider the turbo as a muffler. for the cat i belive i read some were the befor 1998 cats are not needed? once agine im not sure about this just my understanding on it
Old 08-30-2010, 06:49 AM

If you look in the Parts books ,the 97 for instance lists no converter on some models made that year and some did come with converters.I don't know what book the inspection people use but they should have that info. Mine came with a converter and my Brother -in-law's 97 F-350 came without.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:56 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
gut the kitty and put it on if you're worried. ha. im in nazifornia and running straight pipe. they tend to go after the ricers and dumb street racing kids here more than anything.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil o rinny View Post
Cat delete you cant pass inspection as for as I know. I did cause I know the right people. As for not having a muffler, Ive heard that turbo charged vehicles dont have to have one cause the turbo acts as a muffler. Not for sure.
here is mo you dont need either in a 7.3. no cat is needed on a truck 8k gvwr and higher. and the turbo is considered a muffler here, you are correct.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:45 AM

Thanks for the info! I'm gonna call shops and say I'm buying a truck out of mo and see if they'll pass it when I get here.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculously_necessary View Post
here is mo you dont need either in a 7.3. no cat is needed on a truck 8k gvwr and higher. and the turbo is considered a muffler here, you are correct.
Didnt know that, i guess you learn something new everyday. And its good to see another MO person on here, dont seem to be very many.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrojo63 View Post
Thanks for the info! I'm gonna call shops and say I'm buying a truck out of mo and see if they'll pass it when I get here.
there was a thread a while back on this. iirc, the vin had to show no cat its in configuration. so be sure to check the vin first. its the vin doesnt show that they will make you put a kitty on. im not sure if all vin specified that or not, there seemed to be a gray area in thread. let us know what you find. worst case, maybe they wont notice a gutted cat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil o rinny View Post
Didnt know that, i guess you learn something new everyday. And its good to see another MO person on here, dont seem to be very many.
words to live by, i love the org for that very reason. agreed, there is a MO section in the forums, we got 'Show Me Strokers' up and tried for a meet but it never came together. the section activity has died off. one thing is for sure there are TON of nice PSD's out here, id like to see more of these people on the org. i saw Alberta7.3's truck the other day. - not really but looked liek his and was clean as new!
Old 08-31-2010, 09:32 AM

Just bolt the CAT back in before having it inspected. Bring it home and re-delete it and bolt the test pipe back in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.