Tranny behavin' a little weird occasionally? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 09:24 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tranny behavin' a little weird occasionally?

I gotta quick question - Every now and then (probably happens about 2 or 3 times a month tops, I drive about 40 miles a day.), when I accelerate from a dead stop, my tranny won't shift out of first unless I let off the gas, even if i take it to like 3200 or 3300 rpm. That it usually followed by it shifting into second after i let off, then right after that it shifts straight into OD at like 27 or 28 mph (can you say LUGGING??). It won't downshift out of OD even when floored when having such an occurance. But aside from that, there's absolutely nothing out of the ordinary that happens before of after said event though. Any ideas what my cause this? Maybe it's just one of those questionable occurances the E4's are so infamously known for?? It is (or should I say was) a brand new Ford unit put in about 21k ago.

There's also another strange thing it does that I never really paid half a mind to, but since I'm already at it I figure I'll ask. Under normal acceleration (which for me is generally between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle), it almost feels as if there is 5 gears. You can feel the 1-2 shift at about 17, the 2-3 at about 28 or 29, and then the mystery "gear"(it even drops RPM's by about 150 or 200) at about 40, and then OD at about 50 to 55 (90% of my driving is between 50 and 65 mph). Every shift (including the mystery "shift") has a nice quick firm shift. I believe it has a shift kit, but idk. If I'm under light acceleration when I'm in the city, the shift from the mystery "gear" and OD occur one after the other. It'll drop about 200 rpms, then about a half second later lock into OD and drop about 600 rpms.

Any ideas for either of these??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 02:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I can answer part of ur question....The mystery gear you are talking about is the torque converter locking up..I asked the same question to someone when i first bought my truck.so i hope that helps u out a bit..
Old 08-30-2010, 07:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I can say after 286,000 miles and four tranmissions the these things do shift very wierd,My latest trans is less thamn 300 miles old and the other day it shifted so hard it felt like I had been rear ended,and my other trans did it also every once in awhile.My next truck will be a stick for sure.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does this mean the man and myself need new Torque converters? cause mine does the same thing only consistantly.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:31 AM
CSP Resident Spooby

Sounds like my trans fits in with the crowd pretty well then!!

I guess I won't worry about, unless it becomes more frequent. It hardly ever happens, and as for the "mystery" gear, I never was concerned about that, just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.