Common Problems for 100,000 Mile Plus Trucks - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Common Problems for 100,000 Mile Plus Trucks

Some of you may have seen the feeler I posted in the trucks for sale forum and I'm still on the fence on whether or not I'm going to sell my truck.

My truck passed 100,000 miles a few months ago and I have replaced (or paid somebody to replace...) all the AC components (other than the coil in the dash and the hoses), the fuel pump and hoses (to fix a leak), the thermostat, coolant hoses, and fuel pump, the rear differential fluid, the torque converter seal (to fix a leak), the valve cover gaskets (to fix a leak...), the front bushings to fix the alignment, and the front brakes. I have also performed all normal preventative maintenance since I've owned it.

That being said, I want to get an idea of what potential problems are likely down the road for the truck's next 100,000 miles. I know that anything under the sun could happen, but what is likely to fail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

alternator, fuel pump, uvch, glows, glow relay, hoses, oil cooler - leak. nothing "wrong" with them, they are just machines, they wear out. non of them are really high dollar DIY items. its better than a truck payment.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:35 AM

An o-ring here or there on the engine, shocks, idler pullies and serpentine belt are about due. Vacuum pump's seem to be common on this site, brakes, maybe a stuck caliper, they seem quite frequent on higher mileage trucks. Then again, most of this stuff will happen on any vehicle...you won't get away from having to replace parts eventually.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the replies. I'm not too worried about most of the stuff mentioned, they eventually quit on any vehicle and are DIY to fix. What I'm really worried about is HPOP, injectors, transmission, etc (i.e. the hard to fix expensive stuff).

By the way, I forgot to mention the belt has been replaced as well as the GPR and CPS.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:55 AM

I'm thinking my truck has the factory HPOP, 250k, it's a little dirty but still working fine...The previous owner knew that the injectors weren't changed when he had it for the last 75K.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:03 PM

those do go out, but for hte most part and when cared for, hpop and injector problems are rare. oil changes, fuel filter, good fuel, and good fuel pump pressure will keep them alive. the tranny... upgrade the cooler. that will help a lot. do you tow a lot?
Old 08-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the info on the HPOP and injectors. I don't tow very often right now.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:40 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

My truck has almost 200k on a bone stock motor. Well, except for the alternator I had to replace . The original tranny lasted until 177k, after being used as a ranch truck and hauling a slide-in camper for who knows how many years.

I wouldn't be too worried about it, with proper maintenance and a little bit of luck, you'll only have little DIY things here and there. 100k miles on a 7.3 is just getting broken in
Old 08-25-2010, 10:12 PM

Bought my 97 F 350 new and just turned over 165,000 all hwy miles. Original Brakes

Injectors serviced under warranty 90,000
3 Cam Sensors all under warranty with latest sensor changed at 163,000 recall.

Water Pump Failed at 90,000 changed out all hoses, thermostat, and Serp Belt

Vaccum Pump Failure 100,000

160,000 Changed out Dual Mass OEM Clutch for South Bend, installed new U Joints second cycle of drain & change all Gear Lubricants including Front & Rear Diff at 160,000

160,000 Replaced Upper & Lower Ball Joints,
Replaced inside differential Seals when axles pulled for Ball Joint install.

164,000 Alternator sudden death no warning,

Installed AFE Cold Air Intake and removed rubber boot to turbo and noted how clean the hose was free of any oil build up, turbo looks okay

I too wonder what's in store betweeen now and 200M miles. I'M thinking fuel pump, HPOP and Glow Plugs & Relay. Probably going to pro-active change Glow Plugs and Relay before winter.....
Old 08-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

my 95 psd with a zf5 has 244k on it, its had a vac pump at 237k, injectors around the same but only because of injector seals and i got a steal on a set of stage 1's and the guy before did a clutch at around 200k. other than that, its all good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.