you might as well - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
you might as well

M 96 F350 decided to spring a leak in the oil pan. If I do end up pulling the motor, what major repairs, would you suggest to take care of while the motor is out? 160,000 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2010, 05:07 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
headstuds, valvesprings, bigger injectors, electric fuel system, 3" downpipe, and maybe turbo if it fits your budget.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

rear main and up pipes
Old 08-25-2010, 08:17 AM

repalce any plugs that are corroded. i.e. my coolant plug by the oil cooler corroded out. i had to drill twice and use an easy out. not much room for a wrench in that spot. so check all the plugs, the coolant pipe plug was 96 cents at a local hardware store. glwos will be easier to get to as well. up-pipe gaskets, rebuild the turbo if its hasnt been done. (kit is about $200).
Old 08-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I ended up bringing the truck to my local shop. I did not want to take on this big of project in my garage. They may have a way to do the pan without pulling the motor. However, I am half tempted to have them pull it anyways, after reading all the post.

It never crossed my mind to look at the plugs. Budget is not there for performance upgrades but rebuilding the turbo might be worth going into debt.

I also figured valve cover gaskets, glow plugs, water pump, seals.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I should know by Friday what the path is going to be. $$$$$$$$$$$
Old 08-25-2010, 09:37 AM

have the turbo checked for spec first. if a shop is doign the work they may charge about $800 for a turbo rebuild. there is a good article on diesel power mag about rebuildign the OBS and SD turbos. the VC gaskets are re-useable. water pump isnt a bad idea. if you repalce the glows dont let them replace the relay, get a stancor relay instead. its an extra $20 or $30 but well worth it. and do that one yourself. also oil cooler rebuild is a good idea too. dont know what they will charge, but the kit is about $60 on diesel o-rings.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Picked up the truck today. Big thanks to Howard. He managed to replace the oil pan without pulling the motor. Well I gues it was not that easy. Tranny and transfercase were pulled, and a few other trade secrets I can not give away.

Now my truck has a new oil pan, dip stick, all new brake lines, from the master to the rear end. Stops on a dime now. And a whole list of you might as well's.

Thanks for the input everyone. Good to have her back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.