Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Air trapped in the coolent system

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  huntingjohn2777 
#1 ·
I recently replaced the water pump, T/stat and housing and all hoses. Pulled the block plugs and flushed everything out, blew air through the heater and the block to get all of the water out.

Refilled with 6.5 gallons of fluid but I am still about 1-1/2 gallons short, it should take 8.

I know there is air in the system as I can easily squeeze the upper hose and tell that it is empty. I have driven it twice but these things never really get very hot. The degas level does not go down.

I have searched for answers but not really found much.
Any suggestions?

#2 ·
burp the system, just let it run for awhile with the cap off the reservoir until the air is gone then top it off..

#4 ·
drive the piss outta it! had to do that on mine when we did water pump.

#6 ·
I just finished my pump job up last night. what i did was let'er warm up a little bit(not to much, just past the first line), took the cap off a couple times while it was runing (to realease the pressure), with the cap on reved to 2k for a bit, let'er idle for awhile, shut'er off, took the cap off and the air shot out and sprayed a little bit of coolant out to. then this morning(motor must be cool) took the cap off, system sucked in some coolant. gona take the cap off like that for awhile. worked great for me. Oh don't forget to turn the heater on.

#7 ·
Mine would blow coolant out of the overflow container, here and there was not sure what was going on . One day started her up and she did not start to overheat right away, looked at overflow container and some fluid was sucked in instead of blown out,water mixed w/ oil. Blown head gasket. Leaking into cylinders then finally blew out top and mixed w/oil. After initial startup it seemd to always overheat then just be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.