How to use different turbos? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How to use different turbos?

Why is it that the different turbo's that are available aren't used on our trucks? The reason i ask is i found a HX55 for $240 on craigslist, and it got me thinking. I know that turbo would be very laggy, but for a built truck i think it would work good. It has a t-4 flange, so as long as you made the up-pipe collector/pedestal to a t-4 flange it would fit. Then you would have to make oil lines to go from the block to the turbo so it could get oil. Then you'd have to make a custom intake spider. As for the down-pipe, just cut a hole in the hood and make a stack.

I know its not as simple as it sounds, because you would have to make everything fit under the hood without being scrunched together. But is this what basically needs to be done to run a different turbo on our trucks? I'm trying to plan for the future for when I outgrow my stock turbo, and i want to try something different. It just seems like if you have some fabbing skills you could make your own set-up for a fraction of what a H2E mounting kit would cost. Plus you would be able to modify it to run different turbos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2010, 03:56 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Check Performance Injectors for 7.3L Ford Power Strokes scroll to the bottom of the page. it shows twin turbos and triple turbos on an OBS basically you can see a variation of mounting turbos. You can mostly keep your turbo in the same place by using different pedestals.

But im no turbo expert. There is a variety of turbos available. some meant for that truck and some not. Hope it gets you moving
Old 08-22-2010, 04:37 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've looked at their set-ups a couple different times before. But now the pics aren't working for me.

And i'm not really thinking about a specific turbo right now, just trying to figure out how i could mount a different turbo, and why others haven't done the same thing.

Edit: After lookin on PSN, i found this. http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...ad.php?t=66785 That partially answers how i could do it. But there has to be something i'm missing, because it seems like with some fabbing skills it wouldn't be that hard. But other than really built trucks i never hear about anyone going to something other than a GTP38R or a H2E.

Last edited by JD3020; 08-22-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.