All you Dana 60 folks... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
All you Dana 60 folks...

Well, after much pry-barring the front end to check the ball joints (all good) after noticing that my front camber is visually off, and the front tires were wearing unevenly, I decided to take her in to one of the few garages that can still align vehicles this big to get an idea of what all is going on.

My '97 has the split beam front suspension (complete with slow seep leak that I am unsure of how to correct), and I thought my inside edgewear was due to the negative camber angle in addition to the toe angle. Turns out the toe and caster were dead-nuts (wheel is off-centered but eh, I'll deal for now), camber angle (as I expected) was two tenths of a degree negative from the minimum allowable on the driver, four tenths below allowable on passenger side (now I know why she pulls a bit). I had him balance and rotate the tires to give the rears a bit of a rest, and buy me a bit of time to ponder my strategy and picking brains around here. I could of course have the ball joint shims put in, correct my camber, and keep my comfy ride.

After reading a few articles, I have been seeing a bit of feedback that not too many folks like the independent front ends due to the rather significant weight of the 7.3 bearing down on it tends to cause tire wear issues. I have also been told that converting to a solid axle in the front gives a far $h1ttier ride than the independent front axle, but a friend of mine has an '05 F250 5.4 gasser with a solid front and it rides very similar to my '97 PSD. For those of you who have converted, how much worse is it? (I know, I know... no matter how bad, it's still better and cheaper than blasting through tires every 15K)

I love this truck, but 5K worth of driving took nearly-new tires in the front and chopped up the inside edges pretty good. I am also not a fan of the high rpms at 70-75mph. Should I convert this truck to a Dana 60 front, and change the ratio to the 3.73? I'm assuming that at 65 mph with 2200 rpm I'm running a 4.10 ratio. Can this be done on the cheap, as in a thousand bucks to get a used axle, buy the steering parts, and do the work myself and then get it all aligned?

I'm guessing a 3.55 ratio would be suicidally low for the transmission. Please shower me with all thoughts and saved rounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You will be hard pressed to find a complete D60 that doesn't need a complete rebuild for a grand. Maybe a junk yard housing with a questionable gear set and worn parts........

and don't forget, if you plan to change your front gears to a higher ratio to get the RPM's down, you need to change the rear to match. Unless you can setup gears, that will be thousands to do in parts and labor.

If your tires are shot, you would be better off going to a taller tire, finding an axle to swap that isn't worn out and it would be cheaper in the end.

Either choice will cost you $$$$ no matter how you slice it.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:17 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

I found my 60 with new pads and rotors, 350 springs and the track bar included, all cleaned up and no leaks with the correct ratio (I have 4:10's as well), for $850. It just takes a bit of searching.

My factory TTB is just gettin' plain worn out (has almost 200k on it). I had it aligned by a very reputable shop, and the guy did all he could, and it still has some inward (negative?) camber on the passenger side, and is wearing the tires oddly and prematurely.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:21 PM

Lemme toss another .02 back at ya. I appreciate the advice, and the grounded opinion that no matter what, I'm gonna be breaking open the wallet on this one.

There are a TON of trucks with blown motors down in the junkyard now after Imam Obama's public debt for working vehicles stunt. I am fairly confident that I can find a D60 down there off an older F-350. I'm assuming it would come with 4.10 gears whether it was a gasser or diesel (you won't find any diesels down in the junkyard... or if you do, the motors are gone). Changing gear ratios WOULD be a pain. I was just jerking myself off with the thought of doing it because it really would be nice to drop the RPMs.

What trucks came with the six speed manuals? I've read up a bit on the conversions but I'm probably better off daydreaming about changing the front and rear gear ratios. As far as setting up gears, about the best I can do is pull axles and service up a rear.

As far as tires, I'm already running a 285s. I can't go any taller without a lift (or looking like a jackass).
Old 08-20-2010, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

keep in mind that your freinds 05 with teh solid axle has coil over springs, not leafs which ride mich better. Ill admit that my ride got considerably worse when i put the solid axle in the truck i did the swap on. However, I had a 4 inch lift kit made and it was a cheaper kit so it had a terrible ride to begin with. If you use the stock springs, the ride shoudnt be too bad, you can always add in springs from the super duty and it will ride smoother.

I paid 600 for my axle at a junk yard. I replaced all ball joints, seals and the spindle bearing while i had the thing out, ran a little over a grand in the end, worth every penny in my opinion. Tires wearing normally now, truck is steering correctly, and no more death wobble, if you can find one within your price range do it.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:40 PM

TTB axles also crack drivers side between the leaf spring mounting area and the gear area. Had it happen on my 84 f350 gasser. Got one from junk yard, also had cracks, found after sand blasting. I welded it and reinforced the area. LMC truck has replacements so must happen alot. Can't imagine what a 7.3's weight would do to it.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekfinn View Post
Lemme toss another .02 back at ya. I appreciate the advice, and the grounded opinion that no matter what, I'm gonna be breaking open the wallet on this one.

There are a TON of trucks with blown motors down in the junkyard now after Imam Obama's public debt for working vehicles stunt. I am fairly confident that I can find a D60 down there off an older F-350. I'm assuming it would come with 4.10 gears whether it was a gasser or diesel (you won't find any diesels down in the junkyard... or if you do, the motors are gone). Changing gear ratios WOULD be a pain. I was just jerking myself off with the thought of doing it because it really would be nice to drop the RPMs.

What trucks came with the six speed manuals? I've read up a bit on the conversions but I'm probably better off daydreaming about changing the front and rear gear ratios. As far as setting up gears, about the best I can do is pull axles and service up a rear.

As far as tires, I'm already running a 285s. I can't go any taller without a lift (or looking like a jackass).

Don't just assume it will have 4.10's. Mine has 3.55's in it and I'm not sad for that.

Don't worry, if you DO swap in the solid axle, do the stupid duty springs to level it out and run 315's no problem, that should give you 150-200 RPM decrease in RPM's depending on the brand of tires/width of wheels.

The 99+ trucks came with 6 speeds, but they won't give you the advantage your seeking and the only solution is to either change ratios or swap BOTH axles with known good ones or rebuild the ones you get. I guess it really depends on your ambition/abilities.

If you never setup gears....maybe you would be best finding some 3.55 geared axles if that is important to drop the RPM's...or commit to taller tires. Good luck. I've set up enough gears to say, it is not something for a novice to tackle without the right tools or oversight from an experienced mechanic.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsil View Post
Don't just assume it will have 4.10's. Mine has 3.55's in it and I'm not sad for that.

The 99+ trucks came with 6 speeds, but they won't give you the advantage your seeking and the only solution is to either change ratios or swap BOTH axles with known good ones or rebuild the ones you get. I guess it really depends on your ambition/abilities.
What are the gear ratios these trucks came with? 3.55, 3.73, and 4.10? I figured the six-speed would have a lower top-gear ratio, and therefor give me a drop in RPMs going down the highway in sixth gear as opposed to my current 5th gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsil View Post
If you never setup gears....maybe you would be best finding some 3.55 geared axles if that is important to drop the RPM's...or commit to taller tires. Good luck. I've set up enough gears to say, it is not something for a novice to tackle without the right tools or oversight from an experienced mechanic.
Oh, this job would most certainly involve the assistance of my friend who is an absolute mechanical wizard. His 650ish HP race car has had about four custom rears in it, all assembled in rather remarkable time by him in his shop. What trucks came with the 3.55s and the 3.73 ratios? I'm assuming all the F-250 Powerstrokes with five speeds came with 4.10 gears. Did the automatics do things differently?
Old 08-21-2010, 05:07 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
I got one for 900 and put 25,000 miles on it and all I did was change the oil. Figure if it broke I would fix it, never did.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:11 AM

Do the swap,your tires and wallet will thank you later.Fewer alignments and think of all the tires these twin beam fronts can eat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.