Installing New Headlights - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installing New Headlights

After 13 years the old fogged over head light lens on my 97 F-350 have got to go. Ordered the upgraded Bolton Premiere Diamond Plastic lamps with side lights. Anyone want to share tips to removing old lamps I have heard it's best to pull the batteries for easier access to remove the frames? Any links to changing lamps. Just looking for input from anyone that's done this project.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 08:55 PM
a truck

you need to pop off the grille, 5 easy screws. Take off the bezels, two screws up top and then two nuts that are located down behind the core support where the turn signal is located. Just have to reach down in there. Best to pull the batteries. Then all thats left is the header panel with the headlights in it. Pop the header panel out, its a bunch of 10mm bolts if I remember correctly then there are 3 tabs holding on the headlights to the panel you can pop out with a flathead screwdriver
Old 08-20-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt P View Post
you need to pop off the grille, 5 easy screws. Take off the bezels, two screws up top and then two nuts that are located down behind the core support where the turn signal is located. Just have to reach down in there. Best to pull the batteries. Then all thats left is the header panel with the headlights in it. Pop the header panel out, its a bunch of 10mm bolts if I remember correctly then there are 3 tabs holding on the headlights to the panel you can pop out with a flathead screwdriver
Thanks Matt, sounds like you have some experience with this task. I figured I'D have to remove the batteries as it's a "PITA" just to get those bulbs out.

Thanks
Vern

Last edited by 350ninty7; 08-21-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:55 PM
a truck

Oh yeah Ive had the front end apart on my OBS I dont how many times. Its definitely easier to just pull the batteries out
Old 08-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Interior Guru

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Copy/Pasted from my thread on another site.

you DONT have to remove the batteries, but it sure does make things simpler lol I did mine without removing the batteries, just to see if I could.

First off. Place a peice of cardboard, or something you can mark on about 20-25 feet infront of the truck, and mark where your headlights are shining onto it, for reference later.

Now, onto the fun!

Open the hood, and using the Phillips screwdriver, remove the (4) screws ontop of the grille, and one in the center bottom of the grille, lift up and out to remove, set aside.

Next order of business, is to remove the two screws ontop of each headlight bucket, above the headlight. Now on the backside of the headlights and signal lights, between the battery, and core support are two 11mm nuts that need to be removed. They are on the backside of the turn signal light, under the headlight.

One hole is to the right side of the bulb opening (as shown above), and the other hole is in the corner to the left, they are a little tight to get to, and if need be, you can remove the battery to get better access to the holes, using a 5/16" socket.

After removing the two 11mm nuts, and two screws, the bucket will remove with the marker light, and turn signal attached. Becareful removing them, the bulb wires are sometimes short, and can be easily ripped out. Repeat on other side.

Now we will be changing the marker and signal lights. Using an 11mm socket and 3/8"ratchet remove the bolts shown here.

This will remove the marker light from the bucket, reinstall the new one the same way with the metal bracket in the same place.

Now remove the three phillips screws from the turn signal light, they are shown here.

Removing these screws will remove the turn signal light from the headlight bucket, reinstall the new light with the same screws.

Next we will be removing the header panel, with headlights attached. Unplug the headlight bulbs from the truck, and if memory serves me right, there are 11-12 5/16" bolts that need to be removed to remove the header panel. I have taken photo's to show them.

After removing all the bolts, place a few towels down to protect your factory lights, and place the header panel face down on the towels.

You should now have your truck looking like this...

Back to the header panel, using an awl, or pick and flat head screwdriver, pry the clips holding the headlight adjusters in place off, be gentile, as you will be reusing these clips!

Take your new headlights, compare the old headlight adjusters to your new headlights adjusters and try to get them close, then, using the old clips, install the new lights into the headerpanel. Next put the headerpanel back onto the truck.

Make sure all your wires are not pinched, and that they are all in the right locations, and change the clear bulbs to the amber bulbs. (I took this opportunity, and replaced them all, the marker lights can be VERY hard to change once installed) Now you can take your headlight bucket, with newly installed lights, and place it back on the truck using your old hardware, reinstall the grille, and your almost done!

Now, using your cardboard, with the headlight markings, adjust your new lights to about where your old ones were. I reccomend going to a garage, and having them aligned properly.

Close the hood up, and admire!

Old 08-21-2010, 07:26 PM

Don't the bodyshops have some sort of rubbing compound that polishes those lenses back to 'like new'? I think my son had one of his rubbed out and you can't really notice the difference to the new one on the other side of his car.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Interior Guru

Wetsand with 2000 grit, and buff using a cotton bonnet on a high speed buffer/grinder with rubbing compound.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:09 PM

Where did you get those lights from? Looks great dude.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareweird69 View Post
Copy/Pasted from my thread on another site.

you DONT have to remove the batteries, but it sure does make things simpler lol I did mine without removing the batteries, just to see if I could.

First off. Place a peice of cardboard, or something you can mark on about 20-25 feet infront of the truck, and mark where your headlights are shining onto it, for reference later.

Now, onto the fun!

Open the hood, and using the Phillips screwdriver, remove the (4) screws ontop of the grille, and one in the center bottom of the grille, lift up and out to remove, set aside.

Next order of business, is to remove the two screws ontop of each headlight bucket, above the headlight. Now on the backside of the headlights and signal lights, between the battery, and core support are two 11mm nuts that need to be removed. They are on the backside of the turn signal light, under the headlight.

One hole is to the right side of the bulb opening (as shown above), and the other hole is in the corner to the left, they are a little tight to get to, and if need be, you can remove the battery to get better access to the holes, using a 5/16" socket.

After removing the two 11mm nuts, and two screws, the bucket will remove with the marker light, and turn signal attached. Becareful removing them, the bulb wires are sometimes short, and can be easily ripped out. Repeat on other side.

Now we will be changing the marker and signal lights. Using an 11mm socket and 3/8"ratchet remove the bolts shown here.

This will remove the marker light from the bucket, reinstall the new one the same way with the metal bracket in the same place.

Now remove the three phillips screws from the turn signal light, they are shown here.

Removing these screws will remove the turn signal light from the headlight bucket, reinstall the new light with the same screws.

Next we will be removing the header panel, with headlights attached. Unplug the headlight bulbs from the truck, and if memory serves me right, there are 11-12 5/16" bolts that need to be removed to remove the header panel. I have taken photo's to show them.

After removing all the bolts, place a few towels down to protect your factory lights, and place the header panel face down on the towels.

You should now have your truck looking like this...

Back to the header panel, using an awl, or pick and flat head screwdriver, pry the clips holding the headlight adjusters in place off, be gentile, as you will be reusing these clips!

Take your new headlights, compare the old headlight adjusters to your new headlights adjusters and try to get them close, then, using the old clips, install the new lights into the headerpanel. Next put the headerpanel back onto the truck.

Make sure all your wires are not pinched, and that they are all in the right locations, and change the clear bulbs to the amber bulbs. (I took this opportunity, and replaced them all, the marker lights can be VERY hard to change once installed) Now you can take your headlight bucket, with newly installed lights, and place it back on the truck using your old hardware, reinstall the grille, and your almost done!

Now, using your cardboard, with the headlight markings, adjust your new lights to about where your old ones were. I reccomend going to a garage, and having them aligned properly.

Close the hood up, and admire!

Wow, lots of detail, pretty well mapped out. Thanks for the good feedback. New lenses will arrive next week, can't wait to get started.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Interior Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdguy97 View Post
Where did you get those lights from? Looks great dude.
Thanks! I got them at a local swap meet/vendor area, but can be had from Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350ninty7 View Post
Wow, lots of detail, pretty well mapped out. Thanks for the good feedback. New lenses will arrive next week, can't wait to get started.
I knew it was a common project for many people, but sometimes hard to explain it to someone who has never done it. Its very simple to do, just make sure you line up your lights correctly, or take it to a shop

Good luck on your fix!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.