Keep cummins or buy 97 cclb psd - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Keep cummins or buy 97 cclb psd

I love my cummins but I like the mid nineties Ford chassis quite a bit, best truck ever built IMO, looks durability etc. I had an 04 6.0 liter and damn that thing was fast, my cummins isn't as quick but VERY torquey.

How do you all think I would like the 7.3l compared to the two I have for reference.

Apparently transmission is not a problem with the truck I am looking at, guy says it was built by BTS... Anybody ever heard of these guys?

All info advise appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If its got a bts i bet money its had alot of other power work done. gotta get more info on the truck
Old 08-19-2010, 01:25 PM

The 7.3 will feel like a dog compared to the 6.0 and nowhere near as torquey as your dodge. BTS is one of the best shops around, that trans will take just about anything.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yes, so much so that he blew the motor, he had injectors twins ALL the goodies and blew it up playing...

So now the truck has a stock 7.3 replacement motor with eighty thousand on it, been in this truck for 10,000

He will include the custom tune chip if I want it but it's not installed because it is configured for the old setup... Can be reprogrammed I guess.

Right now I am running an 04 cummins with tst powermax and water meth injection, can't get half my power down because of my 48re slush box but I love the torque (when I can get it to the pavement, that's another reason this tranny sounds good in the ford if this BTS is anything
Old 08-19-2010, 01:29 PM

x2 on getting more info. BTS is bullet proof. something most of us wish we had.

its just different. i think youll like it. what year was your cummins? most people say they feel a difference in low end touque comparing the two stock. i suspext thi is due to the cummins in-line setup. the psd wont be as fast as your 6.0 stock, but that can easily be fixed. as stated, chances are if it has a bts its been chipped or better. let us know what you find!

Old 08-19-2010, 01:31 PM

youll be happy with the chip, get it reburned as you said. youll get some good power. and you can always add mods to make it more powerful.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Are you talking just in the stock to stock comparison or can I wake up the 7.3?

I was very happy with my six litter and all it had was a bully dog...literally stock intake exhaust everything bone stock

What does it take to get the seventy threes going? I see some seriously high mileage ones out there so I can assume the reliability is there if you take care of it...
Well helll I had a 93 non turbo ford cclb with just shy of 400000

But that doesn't count for a power comparison it was Baddddddd 135hp stamped on the valve cover
Old 08-19-2010, 01:36 PM

yes, you can wake them up no question, how much do you want to spend? lol

see if you like it stock first. you can add the chip, or go staged injectors, turbo, 17* hpop, and on and on. i dont know about cummins, but with a 7.3 the custom tune chips are best and should be reburned (usually free) to use your new mods to full potential.

edit: these OBS 7.3 dotn ahve an intercooler stock. the SD's (99-03) do. you can always add one.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah so, I loved my 6.0, the torque shift was b.a. That's why I don't think I like my cummins as well, can't put the juice down.

Something frustrating was to get my cummins as fast as my 6.0 I have to do twins, injectors, dual cp3 and on and on and on, all I did to LOVE my ford was a chip....

Question being how far do I have to go with this 7.3 to make her rip good.... Or is it a different animal like the ctd?

I was looking at putting about five grand behind my cummins but if I can buy this ford with a built tranny and then I have the chassis I want

Heck, if I blow my 7.3 I can always drop in a 12 valve right!
Old 08-19-2010, 01:44 PM

if your replacement motor has forged rods your good for power.

chip, stage II's, TP38 turbo, intercooler, 17* HPOP, and you should be good for 500HP or close to it? or more? what does everyone else think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.