Budget stereo system build - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 07:07 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Budget stereo system build

So I'm putting together a budget system for the stroker (college student with bills to pay, so I'm trying to keep it cheap).

About a week after I bought the truck, I pulled out the stock deck and front speakers (which were blown). I found a Dual deck from wally-world (yeah yeah, I know, but the features for the money seemed pretty good, and it's worked flawlessly so far, I'll have model numbers for everything posted later), Pioneers cheapest 6.5's, a Sony 600 watt 4-channel amp and a Sony 10" sub. I know Sony is the greatest, but I've used their car audio stuff for a long time, and they've taken every single but of abuse I can put them through, and have never failed. I was happy with it for the time being, I just needed something that worked while I saved my money back up.

It sounded alright for the time being, but now I'm building a system with hopefully better sound quality, less distortion, and good bass.

I pulled the amp and sub out a few weeks ago for fear of a battery drain issue, but I think I have the problem solved.

So for now, the system will consist of:

Dual XHD6430 AM/FM/MP3/WMA Receiver with HD radio and Ipod integration
Sony XM-ZR604 600 Watt 4/3 channel Amp
Sony Xplode 1100 Watt 10" sub
Hifonics Zeus ZXi-6.5C 6.5" Component speakers

The Zeus components were only about $60, so I was a little skeptical. So I read countless reviews about them, and in 99% of them, the people were raving about them ("Great set for the money!", "Buy these, you won't be dissapointed"!, "Sounds as good as my Alpines!", blah, blah, blah...) So I figured I'd try 'em out. According to UPS, they should be in tomorrow afternoon!

I had the amp and wires half-azzedly tucked under the rear seat, and I planned on re-doing it, I just haven't gotten around to it until now. Yesterday I lifted my rear seat about 1/2" to help give the amp more breathing room (as many of you probably know, there ain't much room under there ), and got to work.

My plan is to bridge two of the channels on the amp for the sub, and use the other two to power the components. I'm not doing anything with the stock rear speakers yet, as they still work (they don't sound all that good obviously, but I can't hear them up front anyway). If they do blow, I'll just fade the sound out of them. I'm more concerned about my front stage anyway.

Totals so far:
Amp - $100
Deck - $95
Speakers - $70
Sub - $65
Other crap needed for install - ~$50
----------------------------------
= ~$380

So if all goes well, I'll have this going for under 400 bucks. But of course that cost is spread out over the span of 7 months. I had the amp from January when I bought it for my old Chevy before I sold it. So the up front cost for this truck will hopefully be under $300. The amp and sub I bought in April when I got the truck, so my immediate cost will hopefully be around 100 - 130 bucks

But enough rambling. Anyway, I don't have enough pictures to be worth posting, As I just started. But I will take them as I make progress! This won't be a long build, if all goes as it should, it'll be complete by the end of the week. I'm going to take the mirrors off and paint them while I have the door panels off, but that shouldn't take more than half a day to complete.

Anybody have any ideas for tweeter mounting options? As far as I know, they can be surface or flush mounted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2010, 03:22 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to tbonemcniel Send a message via Yahoo to tbonemcniel
I would reccomend running two seperate amps, one for door speakers, one for your sub
Old 08-12-2010, 03:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonemcniel View Post
I would reccomend running two seperate amps, one for door speakers, one for your sub
x2, definately
Old 08-12-2010, 06:56 AM

send the dual stuff back... i have 2 units worked great at first and are now crapping out... warranty sucks if u want to be without your sterio for a few months....
Old 08-12-2010, 11:27 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

Why is two amps the way to go? If it comes down to it I can buy another, but I'm trying to save what I can. I know the amp I'm currently using isn't powerful enough for the sub, but the extra amp and all the wiring and crap can add up.

I figure I'll use the Dual unit till it does crap out, then put a nice Alpine or something in. It's working fine for the time being!

The speakers arrived today! But I have a hot out-of-town visiting, so I figure I'll spend the time with her while I can, she's only here 'till Tuesday, so the project is on a temporary hold. It's gonna be a good day-long project, because like I said, I plan on pulling my mirrors off and painting them while I have the panels off, since it's kinda of a PITA to remove them. That, and I'm putting new fastners/clips on the door panels as well.

Last edited by nine6stroker; 08-12-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:50 PM

you can get a 4 channel amp. bridge two of the channels, making the amp basically a 3 channel amp. then run 2-4 speakers from the two channels and the sub from the bridged channels. tada. i know of a shirt load of amps that would work but the sundown audio 100.4 would do the job no problem. get a small rms sub like a cvr ten and it would power your components just fine. but beware the amp your buying is a quality piece of audio. but if you buy a 4 channel amp planning on doing it the way i just said i wouldnt go cheap because youl basically be wasting money on shirt product.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:16 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

The amp I have is a 4-channel, and that's exactly what I was planing on doing, essentially making it a 3-channel. But the 10" Sony sub I have is so power hungry it starts to distort when turning up the volume. I have been thinking of getting a lower wattage sub, I just don't know which one.

My deck has a front and rear out, and the amp also has a front and rear in, which I think should help in tuning the speakers/subs.

I know Sony isn't the best, but their products have never failed me, no matter what I do to them. Hell, even the early model Xplod 5.25" speakers on our boat face constant pouring rain, sun, and just general abuse, and have never missed a beat (pun intended ). I had some new(er) model xplod 6x9's in my old suburban, and I was the third person to own them. The guy who owned them before me (a buddy of mine), heavily abused them (as did I), and then they went to another buddy of mine when I sold the truck, were abused for a little while more, and are now sitting in his garage waiting to be put to use again. I seriously have never been able to kill any Sony car audio product I have used.

I'm also still debating on where to mount the tweeter. Any suggestions? I want to put it in the door, but options are limited are the OBS doors. If you have an idea, throw it out here!

EDIT: And it took me until today to realize I didn't have to have the door panels off to remove the mirrors

Last edited by nine6stroker; 08-13-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:06 PM

k well thats all fine and dandy but sony amps are ****. yea theyll work but they dont give you much power. thats probly why your speakers were getting clipped and sounding like crap. think of it this way, youve got a nice mustang but that go kart motor isnt giving it much to work with lol. even with a crappy sub if you have real power youl be able to power that sub without clipping it and it sounding crappy possibly even sounding like its popping cause its been clipped so much its blown and running off one coil lol. im just giving advice. i have two 15 inch subs that cost 600 bucks each and have an rms of 2500 watts.. if i only fed them about 600 watts they wouldnt do a whole lot, plus id be pushing te little amp overtime just to make that speaker make any sound. which i could burn up my sub with that amount of power just because its a clipped signal.. sorry but i dont see you being happy with what i think your gonna do
Old 08-14-2010, 02:09 PM

oh btw i probly have te same 4 channel sony amp your talking about. and it works ok i guess but idk. i do know the kicker cvr is a good budget sub. you could feed it a couple hundred rms and it will still sound power hungry though. its like a 400 rms sub i think. you can get em for like 50 bucks sometimes
Old 08-14-2010, 04:03 PM

Use 2 amps. Use a 4 channel for the door and rear speakers, and get a monoblock for the sub. It will be much cleaner.

My friend just built a great system, although it cost him like a grand.

To do it right, you will need to have component speakers. There's no other way. Some can come close, but won't work as well as a true component. That means you will have to drill holes in the door panel.

For the speakers, go with kickers, or alpines, they are always high quality.

Look on crutchfield.com for good priced components. They have excellent customer service also.

For a Sub, get a fosgate if you have the money. Mmy friend got a fosgate (not sure of the model) for like 200 in a ported box, on sale. It helps being in the bay area. Look around, spend your time, and wait for good deals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.