Track bar mount... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 03:56 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Track bar mount...

Alright. Hope you guys can help me out with this.

Hope this isn't the typical question you guys see here. I'm looking for some pictures and measurements of the frame side track bar mount. Doing a D60 swap on my truck when I come home and have the track bar but not the frame side mount. Looking into building my own. Can mock everything up when I get home but would like to start designing the mount.

Thanks in advance!

Charlie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2010, 04:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't have any pics or measurements to offer at the moment, but I can share some knowledge.
Don't rely on other people's measurements. The height of your suspension, length of your trackbar, height of your axle side bracket, and angle of your steering linkage all have an effect on how your trackbar needs to be set up and are different for everybody... this is why they sell adjustable trackbars for lifted vehicles. Your trackbar needs to be absolutely parallel with your axle when viewed from above, and it needs to be absolutely parallel with your drag link when viewed from the front. If those angles aren't matched up, you'll end up with death wobble and/or bump steer.
As long as those angles are good though, all you need to worry about is the design of the frame side mount. DO NOT skimp out on the strength and amount of material in this mount... if it breaks, you will no longer be able to turn your wheels, and instead you'll just be moving the vehicle back and forth over your front axle. It's kinda funny to watch when it doesn't happen to you, but it really sucks when it does. The way you design your mount will have a lot to do with how far down the mount has to go from the frame in order to match the trackbar angle to the angle of the drag link.

I'm off to bed, but I have pictures to dig up and post when I wake up later to help show what I'm trying to explain, in case any of it doesn't make sense.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:48 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar18c View Post
I don't have any pics or measurements to offer at the moment, but I can share some knowledge.
Don't rely on other people's measurements. The height of your suspension, length of your trackbar, height of your axle side bracket, and angle of your steering linkage all have an effect on how your trackbar needs to be set up and are different for everybody... this is why they sell adjustable trackbars for lifted vehicles. Your trackbar needs to be absolutely parallel with your axle when viewed from above, and it needs to be absolutely parallel with your drag link when viewed from the front. If those angles aren't matched up, you'll end up with death wobble and/or bump steer.
As long as those angles are good though, all you need to worry about is the design of the frame side mount. DO NOT skimp out on the strength and amount of material in this mount... if it breaks, you will no longer be able to turn your wheels, and instead you'll just be moving the vehicle back and forth over your front axle. It's kinda funny to watch when it doesn't happen to you, but it really sucks when it does. The way you design your mount will have a lot to do with how far down the mount has to go from the frame in order to match the trackbar angle to the angle of the drag link.

I'm off to bed, but I have pictures to dig up and post when I wake up later to help show what I'm trying to explain, in case any of it doesn't make sense.
I don't plan on skimping on design or strength. I'm an off road guy and have built and beat a TON of crap. Thanks for the info!
Old 08-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Alright, got some pics for ya. These are all from Jeeps, cause I build em for rock crawling, but the concepts and whatnot are all the same.

WRONG. This will give you BUMPSTEER. The line on top is the steering linkage. This is your constant. The line on bottom is the trackbar, this is the one you change to match, never the other way around.

Top line is the steering, middle yellow is where the trackbar should be, bottom red line is the trackbar angle. This guy has bumpsteer too.

Again, this is a little off. This one isn't TOO bad, but it's still not good and will still cause problems.

This is how it should be. Best example I could find.

It's also a good idea to add a brace to the mount. Adding that was the first thing I did to the trackbar bracket on this mess of a Jeep, followed by lots of plating and gussets on the mount itself. You can tell what's what right? If not lemme know and I'll circle stuff. Oh and a disclaimer: those welds on the axle and oil pan are not mine lol, they were there when I got the jeep and were fixed soon after.

Last edited by mcantar18c; 08-11-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.