Can it be done??? six speed in 96 obs truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can it be done??? six speed in 96 obs truck

ok here is the big question i have located a six speed out of a 99 f-250 7.3l diesel. it is a working trans and the guy from the salvage yard is gonna let it go for 500 bucks!! my question is can it be swapped in behind a 96 7.3l and what would have to be done for things such as reprograming/clutch parts/transfercase mating or is it even possible? i already have all the clutch parts from a 97 to convert to a manual i am just looking for a trans. any help would be awesome asap because i want to jump on that trans if i can use it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2010, 03:51 AM

Same engine, I don't see why not. Not sure if the 5 spd and 6 spd used different flywheels, but if I were a manufacturer I'd use the same flywheel between the two for cost efficiency. I'm sure you'll need a new clutch assembly to go with it, so invest in a quality kit that suits your needs.
The only things I see that could be an issue are the crossmember position/bolt pattern, the trans to t-case mounting surfaces, and the length of the driveshaft(s). Best to look up specs on all of those before you commit to this.
Also, you may want to check the length and diameter of the trans input shaft.

If all the dimensions and mounting surfaces are the same, there's no reason why not.

But how do you know the trans is even good? What a junkyard says might not always be the full truth, and they probably wouldn't even know for sure in the first place. Without seeing it run...

EDIT: Wait... reprogramming? Are you swapping from an automatic or do you have a 5 speed? If you're swapping from an automatic, that changes things a little.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:31 AM

it is out of one of the junkyard trucks they used to tow a trailer the motor threw a rod apparently so they are parting it out. and it come with a one year warranty since it was out of one of there own trucks. i figure you cant really go wrong. especially with the warranty which they said if there are any problems they would take it back. my other question is what about the reprograming of the pcm or trans control module can you program them for this trans? or do i need a module outt of a 99-02 truck?
Old 08-11-2010, 09:41 AM

you can do it no problem however you do have to use the flywheel and clutch for the 6 spd. and it bolts right up to your existing engine and t-case. like mcantar18c said you may need to change length on drive shafts and possibly move your cross member a bit. if you are swapping from a auto to a manual yes you will need to reprogram. or your best bet find a ecm from a manual 96. there is no computers controlling a manual trans. regards
Old 08-11-2010, 10:33 AM

Location: lake county california, 2hrs north of san francisco
So the obs t-case will bolt to the zf6 trans?
Old 08-11-2010, 01:48 PM

so basically i got a buddy at the ford dealer so i could have him reburn the computer to a manual trans and i should be good to go as far as electronics. now what exactly clutch wise would i need of the truck with the six speed?
Old 08-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
just get a clutch for a 6 speed truck. i mean if you have a 6 speed trans and 6 speed fly wheel the clutch has to be for that 6 speed
Old 08-11-2010, 02:58 PM

for the clutch you can get a really good one from south bend clutch. if you buy a clutch from ford or an auto parts store tell em its for a 2001 or something. and yes the obs transfer case will bolt to a ZF6. same bolt pattern. ford mad a lot of their stuff interchangeable for many years. i believe the transmission/transfer case swap capability is from 1980-2010. meaning you should be able to bolt a 1980 t-case to any trans from 1980-2010 and vise versa
Old 08-11-2010, 03:03 PM

ok sounds good so one more thing the slave cylinder will bolt up to the obs clutch pedal assembly?
Old 08-11-2010, 03:11 PM

dont see why not. if it dont you may be able to use a ZF5 slave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.