turbo pedestal oi leak, pedestal or buterfly valve - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2007, 12:18 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
turbo pedestal oi leak, pedestal or buterfly valve

I am about to tear into my turbo and I checked under it and felt no leaks, but I can see a bunch of gunk and build up at the wastegate rod. Is there any fix for the rod leaking? I dont have all the tools to tap it and plug it.

Any takers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

we don't have wast gates.SD have them,obs tucks just have a exhuast back pressure valve.it is to help with warm up.i have ran with out one for 4 years and the wife for 1 year with out any problem in winter.i plug them in anyway when it gets down in the teens
anyway

gut the valve and put a freeze plug in the hole.it blocks like 24% of the exhaust when open.if you don't want it for a engine brake

the rod ,
oneway is to pull the rod out of the pedestal and put a pipe plug in the rod hole.or just cut the hole barrel that the rod is in on the pedestal and have it welded.i did this to the wife and man does it make life a lot easyer when pulling the turbo.cost me about $15 to have it done.(their is some pics in the wife truck just click on the sleeper below.)
or you can just put some JB weld around the rod.some guys have done that with luck and you might be able to do it with the turbo on the truck.depending on how big you arm is.

don't forget to unplug the electic to the rod its the 2 wire plug at front driver side of the turbo kinda in the valley.just unplug it.
if you gutting it you can pull the pins and wires out of the plug on the turbo side and then plug it back in and put tape around it.

good luck,if you do pull the turbo be a good time for new do-nuts and new turbo o-rings
i hope that all make some kind of sence
Old 04-30-2007, 08:10 PM

Can you leave the up pipes attached to the manifolds when doing the donuts? Just pull the exhaust Y off and do it that way??
Old 05-02-2007, 04:36 PM

Tubzz, are you saying that I can jb weld or have welded the hole where the rod is coming out of the pedestal to stop this oil leak? I hope it would be that easy..
Old 05-02-2007, 04:50 PM

hey guys, I just took a light to my engine, earlier wee degreased it and cleaned it fairly well. What kind of plug is on the passenger side front of the block just under the alternator bracket? Is it an oil valley plug, or a water valley plug? Its looks about 1.5 inches round
Old 05-08-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_powerstroke77 View Post
Tubzz, are you saying that I can jb weld or have welded the hole where the rod is coming out of the pedestal to stop this oil leak? I hope it would be that easy..
yes some guys have put that around the rod and fixed the leak,but the rod wont move any more.

this plug is it on the front of the block?or on the front of the head?
Old 05-08-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked95 View Post
Can you leave the up pipes attached to the manifolds when doing the donuts? Just pull the exhaust Y off and do it that way??

yes and no, i lossen the driver side about half way out at the manifold.then the turbo will come out.when you are at the top bolts on the up-pipes just run them out about half way also.then you will be able to lift the turbo up of the pipes.when putting it back in put the do-nuts back on the turbo(y) run the bolts about half way in and slide it all back together.tighten the bottom up first before the top bolts on the pipes.
hope that made sence
Old 05-08-2007, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the info tubzz, sounds alot easier said than done. I have a leak at the dirverside manifold to up-pipe connection, so I guess I need new up-pipes??

On second thought an H2E comes with new up-pipes right?? LOL
Old 05-10-2007, 01:17 PM

the oil leak was from the oil galley plug on the passenger front side of the block. I have fixed it and no more leakage! Thanks to all on this forum, once again..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.