Thoughts on the 4" exhaust - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thoughts on the 4" exhaust

After a little more than a month with a new 4" exhaust, I must say it does make a difference. My mileage is between 19 and 20 MPG, 16 when towing my 5th wheel, and it doesn't seem to struggle on the hills as much. I've also started using the Lucas fuel treatment, which seems to have cleaned things out. I do notice the injector rattle a little more, but everything is running smooth.

This is a Diamond Eye exhaust, and it seems to work well. However, there is a rub, the installer used a piece of the old exhaust to make the connection between the 3" down pipe and the 4" exhaust pipe. Another Pwr stroker pointed this out to me. Makes me wonder if this is normal or the installer took the easy way out. Has anyone else seen this with Diamond Eye exhaust? My way of thinking is, if you pay for "NEW" turbo back, no used parts or portions should be involved in the process, hence the description " NEW Exhaust from the turbo back". Sorry for the brief rant, I have one of those anal moments every now and then.( cause I'm older than dirt)

Bottom line, 4" is much better than stock, I'm a believer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2007, 05:35 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Congrats! How is the sound?
Old 04-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Strokin' In Dixie-Land

I put a FBD 4" exhaust on mine, gutted the cat, installed a free-flow muffler, and installed an upgraded intake elbow. There is a noticable difference in throttle response, a little more power and much better sound. I did it myself, so, no used parts. If you are happy with it, I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy it.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:42 PM

Nice to hear gramps, are you happy with the sound as well? Oh yeah, and whats next on your list?
Old 04-27-2007, 08:12 PM

The sounds great, deep and throaty. I forgot to mention, I did put a 5" MBRP stainless tip on as well.

As to what's next, I'm not sure. Thinking about an electric fuel pump in line to use as a lift pump. Will that help reduce air in the fuel? Also wondering about HPOP's. Is FoMoCo the only source for these or are there after market products out there?
Old 04-27-2007, 08:45 PM

Not too sure on the elec. pump pushing on the mechanical pump???? Hopefully Tubzz might shed some light on this subject. I would think it might cause the mech. pump to malfunction, but I'm not too smart so I could be way off. As for the HPOP's check with the vendors here, and beansdieselperformance.com I know there are Delphi units out there, however I do not know if they are just reman ford units?? So sorry I'm no help.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:40 PM

Stroked95,
Believe me, every response is helpful. Just knowing someone is trying gives you the feeling that someone cares. Good thing in this day and age. I Googled "Delphi", and found several better deals than from the dealer. Dealer here wants $798 , I can get one on line for $366, reman. or $520 with a new IPR already installed. Thank You Sir, you have helped greatly.

On the electric pump, seems to me, I read something about using it as a lift pump, so the mech pump works less keeping fuel pressure more stable and helping to reduce the amount of fuel vapor ( air) generated to a minimum. I'll have to research it some more.

Last edited by Gramps; 04-28-2007 at 09:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.