Trailer Lights....Please HELP!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trailer Lights....Please HELP!!

Hey guys, I really need your help on this one. My Ford dealerships is totally no help.

Ok, so we just bought a new covered trailer and all the lights (Brake, Running, Clearance etc.) work just fine. However the interior lights don't work. However, my friends Dodge will make them turn on so I know they work.

So, to make these lights turn on I need power to the 1'oclock blade on my 7 pin plug. This blade has a 10 gauge wire coming from it and is Orange/Coral colered. I have followed the wire all the way to the engine were it appears to enter the two big relay type fuses next to the big fuse box under the hood. I have swapped the two box fuses back and forth to no avail. All fuses appear to be ok.

WTF? I really would like to make these lights work! Please post if you have any idea on how to solve this! Thanks in advance.

-Scott Phillips

Last edited by scottphillips88; 04-27-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2007, 04:09 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

That wire is supposed to be hot with the key on and your right, it gets it's power from one of the 2 relays next to the power dist. box, the one on the pass side i think. Get you a multi meter and probe all the terminals in the relay socket. One should be hot with the key off, one should be hot with the key on, one is ground and the other is the feed to the trailer. If you push the relay about 1/2 way in you can probe the feed terminal to make sure you have power there. Lemme know what you find and we can go from there.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Success!!!! I have been trying to figure this out for the last 3 weeks on and off. I decided to pull all the fuses from the power distribution box and take a closer look just in case. I had previously ruled out this box as an issue because the wire goes into the Relay next to it and appears to have no connection to the box. One of the big sized 30A fuses was toast. I ran down to Autozone and viola!! it works!

Now my only concern is leaving the key on for long periods of time because of the glow plugs staying on. ( I think they have an auto shut off, but I'm sure it still takes a bit of power before it turns off.) Is there any easy way to wire this to be hot all the time? Or, should I not be concerned of a dead battery because it will last a long time?

Thanks!

Last edited by scottphillips88; 04-27-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:07 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

Acctually, I cut the wire from the ignition switch to the relay and just ran it to a toggle on the dash, I have a couple flood lights on the rear of my car trailer for backup lights that run off the hot wire and I can switch them on and off as I need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.