Performance Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Performance Question

I have a 96 model f350 7.3 powerstroke.It has a kn air filter and straight exhaust no muffler no converter.I was thinking about getting a superchips progammer .just wondering if it would help as far as towing a 30 foot 5th wheel .other than the air filter and the exhaust its bone stock.open to all suggestions.Truck just doesnt pull that great. put on the computer at ford they said exhaust back pressur sensor was bad.150.00 dollars later and it starts better and pulls a little better .Just dont know what else to do.and beside that my brother inlaw dodge eats me alive while we are towing the campers.PLEASE HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2007, 04:12 PM
Submarine Service '66-'71

Hey cupper, Just my experience with my '97 F350, 7.3. Great engine, but the tranny, thats another story. I towed a 32' fifth wheel, weighing in at 11,000+ and went throught three transmissions. That was with the 4EOD, and I always towed with the O/D off. I think any mods to the engine, without transmission, would be trouble.
Jon
Old 04-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry i didnt say if it was straight drive or automatic .It is a 5 speed stick shift sorry
Old 04-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i've towed 10K+ pounds at least every other time i drove it since i bought my truck 32,000 miles ago. And it was used as a tow rig before that. I just replaced my transmission at 160K miles.

You should be good with the 5speed
Old 04-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to jngreen
to answer your question, yes a programmer would help you tow better. The superchips programmer helps with your transmission's shift points to provide better performance and it also has a "tow safe" mode that increases fuel mileage and power. If you choose to go with a programmer or a chip other than the tow safe program on the Superchips, I would recommend getting some guages to watch your tranny and exhaust temps.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:49 PM

Not sure that a programmer will help with a manual transmission.
Jon
Old 04-23-2007, 05:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

does the superchips programer replace the factory program settings ?I was told i might need to get my computer reflashed .what is better superchips programmer or a chip as of now i dont have gauges but they are on the list
Old 04-23-2007, 05:06 PM
lukecline

for a chip check out www.totaldieselperformance.com hands down the best programming for our older trucks.

luke
Old 04-23-2007, 05:13 PM

My experience with a Superchips Flashpaq is that you would first copy the stock program into the Flashpaq. Then you would load one of three programs. One is Tow Safe, Economy Tow, and Performance. Sounds like for your application towing the 5er you would use the Tow Safe program . Claim by Flashpaq is about 49HP and 89lbs torq with that setting. Since you have a manual tranny, there is no provision for that. Then you would have the option of returning to the stock program. Only problem with all this is that it only supports '99 and up 7.3 motors. I don't know about the older programers by Superchips.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:31 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

You can run a Superchip Microtuner ( I think the part # is 1705). The new ones have 3 programs. You can only tow that load on the lowest setting unless you have a 3" downpipe. I would also suggest gauges. I ran a SCT tuner for several years until i got the Horse Power bug. I will never run a tuner again, now that I've tried one of Tony's chips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.