Tensioner pulley/ idler pulleys - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 07:33 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tensioner pulley/ idler pulleys

Im making a trip up to Vermont in the blue truck in a few weeks, so im gonna go ahead and replace the idler pullers and tensioner pulleys since they are starting to spin on an angle. I bought a tensioner pulley from a loca l part shop a few months agoand now that im looking at it, it seems a little longer than the ones thats on there now. Ive heard on other forums that you have to get a long belt but that doesnt make any sense to me, why wouldn't they just make it the same as the stock one. should i just go to ford and get one or try to make this one work, im going to be replaceing the belt anyways so if i have to get alonger one i will. also the idler pulleys, will i be fine buying aftermarket ones or should i go to ford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2010, 07:39 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Well first I would do is pull the old tensioner and match it up. Never know the parts store may have given you the wrong part.

You can get idle pulleys from any part store. I see no reason to buy it from the dealer.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The one I got from NAPA a few months ago was the same way. When I installed the tensioner I was thinking the same way, however I was able to re-use the old belt. Make sure the where it touches the block looks the same, and throw it on there. oh and while you have the belt off, check the idler pulleys if they have bad bearings, the bearings are 6203's a very common bearing that costs about $8, so just replace the bearing.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

install the new tensioner and try your old belt on it. The proof is in the puddin' as I have heard. lol
Good luck
Old 03-07-2010, 05:16 AM
Premium Member

thats what i figured, the guy assured me it was the right ones, ill pop it on and let you know what happens. ill try changing the bearings on the idlers since there wobbly too, thanks for the help

ive also heard that they are reverse threaded, can you guys tell me which bolts are which so i dont make a mess thanks
Old 03-07-2010, 06:26 AM

When i changed mine they were all reverse thread. Tensioner and both idler pulleys.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:34 AM
Premium Member

i got teh belt off now and i was trying to ge tthe bolt off the idler pulleys but i cannot ge tthem to budge, i have to turn them right to loosen them correct?
Old 03-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I don't think they are reverse thread. At least i don't remember mine being that way. I replaced the idlers and the tensioner, and it was very simple and quick. I removed the bottom idler first, and the bolts on the tensioner and it popped right off. But make sure you are pulling the whole tensioner off, not just the pulley. The original belt will work perfect even though the arm is longer.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Premium Member

yea, heads up for anyone who searches this thread in the future, they were NORMAL threads for all the bolts holding the pulleys on and the bolt holding the tensioner on. the only bolt that is revered threaded is the pulley bolt on the tensioner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.