Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

a few up-pipe donut questions.......

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  melmount 
#1 ·
im planning on buying the chevy manifold donuts and installing them tomorrow.this is mainly a temporary fix because i cant afford a better fix at this point.im wondering if i can pull the pedistol and turbo off as one assembly and avoid changing the orings.if i cant do that is it possible to buy a standard oring kit from the local auto store and get by with that? im hoping this will solve my exhaust leaks,when im on the highway i can let off the gas and hear a chchchchchchchc sound,like an exhaust leak.my boost also seems a bit slow to respond.when i stomp it in 5th gear doing 70,it will hit 10psi then slowly creep to around 15-17psi.also at lower rpms when i stand on the pedal it seems to choke or stumble on the black smoke until the turbo spools up,which is why i think my donuts are fried.let me know what you guys think,thanks>>>>>>>>brian

#2 ·
Have you looked at the up pipes for carbon residue?

#4 ·
mine does this under acceleration so i think mine are also shot idk the best way to replace them

#5 ·
if you have a chip, turn it all the way up after you let it warm up and have some one floor it and see if any smoke blows out around the turbo or the exhuast manifolds. if you don't see anything I would pull the intake tube off the inducer side of the turbo and check the wheel for excesive play.

Goodluck

#6 ·
When I replaced my up pipes I screwed up one of the doughnuts, and tried to use the Chevy ones, and they were just too sloppy. I would get the correct ones.

#7 ·
the ford ones are not that expensive.
I have a 01 i id this on recently. I cut thru the 2 bolts per side that bolted the pipe to the manifold. It was quicker. The pipes will then slide right out of the y pipe. Especially when the gaskets that compress it are shot.
Remove the turbo and y pipe one piece. Get at least 2 new upper Orings from ford. Also cheap. Be careful with the 4 bolts that hold the flange on the ypipe. I broke all of them off and had a machine shop fix it. I reinstalled the y pipe to the turbo and put that back in one piece. Have the pass side up pipe sort of in place layine in there. From the under side(after turbo bolted back down). Slide the up pipe in on pass side from the bottom up.
Theres room to pull it down a few inches to get it in.(at least on mine) The drivers side is easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.