pulling my hair out!!!! replaced a injector/harness.. now it loses power gradualy. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
pulling my hair out!!!! replaced a injector/harness.. now it loses power gradualy.

HELPPP!!!!! changed a bad injector and harness and it started right up and ran beautifully. took it to the gf's about 5 miles away and it started to lose power. it wouldnt go past 2200 rpm then wouldnt go past 1800rpm ect. until it barely idles and doesnt do anything. i opened the water separator valve and nothing came out. if i shut the truck off and crank it for like 10 sec it will fire up and rev like a normal truck should, then loses power and she same stuff happens.......... WHAT THE HELL IS THIS PROBLEM NOW, im getting sick of this truck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It takes a while to run the air out of the system you should let it idel for a while be fore you run it.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

could that cause that problem though. getting the air out of the system? roughly how long will it take to bleed the system???
Old 01-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

but the fuel filter not having fuel in it wouldnt have anything to do w/ the injectors right??
fuel pump?? i dont know! maybe i need to bleed the system.

ok just took it out on the expressway during traffic, and it seems to me that the fuel in the bowl runs out, like it cannot pump it in fast enough, and i died on the shoulder. it is a intermittent problem. but if i sit there a nd crank it it sounds like it is running on 1 cylinder and eventually picks back up and runs beautifully. IS THERE A FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR IN THESE MOTORs.? i can fix anyhting in a gas motor but i do not no anything about diesel's.

SOMEONE HELP PLZZZ!!!

Last edited by roachedstang; 01-21-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:35 PM

theres a fuel pressure regulator on the side of the fuel bowl,its brass colored.sounds like your sucking alot of air into the system somehow,cracked lines anywhere?when it dies is the fuel bowl empty? could also be hpop(high pressure oil pump) dropping off.does it sound like its running out of gas? or is is an instant running problems.if its running out of fuel it will start to chug and sputter and will get progressively worse till it dies. let us know>>>>>>>brian
Old 01-22-2010, 07:44 PM

i read your first post again and you said you cracked the valve on the fuel bowl and nothing came out.if the bowl was full diesel fuel would have ran out so it sounds like you going dry.if it will run at low speeds and loads but die at high speeds it sounds like a weak lift pump to me.is there any fuel building up in the valley?injectors wouldnt have any affect on pumping fuel.these trucks only have one fuel pump and its a two stage pump.low pressure pulls fuel from either tank and fills the bowl.it then filters it and sends it back to the bottom of the pump which is the high pressure and then feeds it into the heads to be turned into energy.the fpr is in the mix as well.so if the fuel bowl isnt filling,your problem is from the pump and back through the fuel lines to the tank.also are you sure you have had enough fuel in the tanks when this happens,these gauges arent the most accurate.let us know>>>>>>brian
Old 01-22-2010, 07:56 PM

this is a classic symptom of a dying IDM (injector driving module). there are several people of this site that have the 7.3L PSD that have lost power like you and have had a bad IDM, including myself. get your computer scanned for codes.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:10 PM

I would take it to ford and have them run a diagnostic scan on it and see what they say. I took mine there and they only charged me for a half hour of diagnostics. didn't help me much cuz I had bigger problems but I have a feeling it could help you.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well guys i guess i got lucky. i threw a fuel pump on it and so far so good. now my only problem is the damn WATER IN FUEL LIGHT, i keep draing it every time it goes on, but every other day it comes on!. how do you get the damn water out of there!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.