Trading my 2000 Ex for a 1995 F350 CC. What to expect? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trading my 2000 Ex for a 1995 F350 CC. What to expect?

Hi all!

It has been quite a while since I have been here. I apologize for my absence. This place has really grown since I was on last time.

I have been talking with a guy I met through autotrader for the last month about trading my 2000 Limited Excursion 4x4 7.3L PSD with 217,000 miles for his 1995 F350 PSD CC 4x4 LB with 216,000 miles + cash. I have been wanting a CC OBS truck for a long time. The other guy really wants a 7.3L Ex. We have exchanged hundreds of photos/info via email and are both happy with the trade idea.

I really need a CC truck because of kids, dogs, and gear. I think I will miss the 3rd row seat in the Ex, but having an 8' bed to haul firewood, military truck parts, hunting gear, and other junk will make me very happy.

To those of you who have owned both, am I nuts for giving up my newer intercooled SD Ex for an OBS truck? Has anyone else made a similar trade? What should I expect?

I used to have a 1995 F250 2WD EC PSD truck, so I am familiar with that generation of engine, interior, and exterior. That truck ran like a raped ape! The only mod I performed was the DIY FPR 3/16" BB mod and it would light up the rear tires. The F350 has a Dana 60 solid front end instead of the D50 on my Ex so I am excited about that. I would like to have a winch/bumper combo to help suck other trucks out of the mud.

The F350 is stock except for a Bully Dog CAI, performance valve body/accumulator, and a Banks TransCommand. I'm not big on reusable filters so I will probably eBay it and get a Tymar.

I don't even have the truck yet and I am already planning mods. I am thinking gauges, an intercooler, 4" exhaust, DP Tuner 6-position chip, dieselsite fuel system, and beans stage 1's.

Anyways, enough rambling. I would just like to hear what you guys think about the swap. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to thesmokinstroke02
id say that would be a good swap. but thats just me
Old 01-13-2010, 10:43 AM

sounds good. if your familiar with the OBS and hwo it drives and such from having had one, then that about all the info you need! i myself would love an Ex. is a trailer an option for your Ex.?
Old 01-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have pulled a trailer a good bit with my Ex. I just hate having to hook one up every time I need to haul something. We burn a lot of wood in the winter so wood hauling would be one of the truck's primary duties. There are some places to cut wood that are easy to get to with a truck, but tough with a truck + trailer combo. I would also like to be able to pull a gooseneck trailer for hauling big tractors, off-road Jeeps, etc...
Old 01-13-2010, 12:44 PM

I think the biggest thing you will notice(or maybe the wife will) is how much rougher the 350 will ride compared to the X. Other than that, just the lower power level,but looks like you already have plans to fix that. Oh and you might notice the larger turning radius

Last edited by Gruss; 01-13-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruss View Post
I think the biggest thing you will notice(or maybe the wife will) is how much rougher the 350 will ride compared to the X. Other than that, just the lower power level,but looks like you already have plans to fix that. Oh and you might notice the larger turning radius
Good point on the rough ride! I won't mention that to the Mrs. She saw one up close in a parking lot the other day and liked the looks of it so that's a good thing.

I will make sure I have a half acre field handy any time I need to turn the truck around. I drove a CC F350 when I was working for a natural gas company back in 1995 and it was like steering a battle ship, but man was it fun. That truck had the 460 in it and it would fly. Too bad it drained the gas tank so quickly!
Old 01-14-2010, 09:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to thesmokinstroke02
i wish i would have traded my old lifted dodge for a 95 cc lb when i had the chance. to bad the engine took a poop on me after. i love obs's
Old 01-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

One other plus is it will lower my payment by about $100 each month and make my insurance less expensive too.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, the trade has finally been made. I am digging my new crew cab. One of the first mods I made was adding 400 lbs. of play sand bags to the bed for traction. The dang snow just won't quit here in the mountains of WV. The truck seems to have great power and it looks to have been well maintained. The Banks Trans Command does a good job of controlling the transmission.

There are a lot of little projects that I need to do to get the truck just right. The only power window that works is the driver's front. The right-rear power door lock doesn't work and the manual lock is very stiff. The left-rear power lock works, but only if you hit the button multiple times. That manual lock is very stiff too. I pulled the right-rear door panel off to see what was going on with the lock. I sprayed some penetrating oil on it and worked it back and forth, but it is still very hard to operate. The power window motor worked after I repaired a broken wire, but the regulator doesn't do anything. I guess something is stripped. I was very disappointed to see that the motor, regulator, etc... are all riveted to the door instead of bolted. That should make it fun to work on

I will post some pics and updates soon.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

LoL your power door locks are exactly like mine, right rear is super stick and left rear only works if hitting the button multiple times. All my windows work tho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.