pedestal question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
pedestal question

I want to cut off the cylinder that houses the actuator rod. Is there a hole that I can tap and pipe plug? How does the cylinder get fed oil to actuate the rod? Someone please explain. I'd like to skip the step of tapping and plugging the actuator rod hole by cutting off cylinder and plugging the source that feeds the cylinder. Thanks and someone please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010, 05:40 PM

Can't anyone help?
Old 01-07-2010, 06:18 PM

Sorry deezel, was waiting to see if someone with a little more knowledge would chime in. I did this on the last engine in my 97, pull the pedestal, remove the snapring on the back and tap the actuator rod to knock the rear plug out. That will allow you to slide the actuator rod and piston out. Pipe tap and plug the hole where the rod came out. I used a coreplug behind the rear plug on the pedestal, this is to cap off the oil coming into the cylinder, if you don't plug the two holes off at the back of the cylinder you'll lose some oil pressure to the turbo bearings (haven't been told this, just looked obvious to me). Install the coreplug (most folks call them freeze plugs) in far enough to reinstall the original plug in the back of the cylinder and reinstall the snapring. I'll see if I can find a link to this mod and post it. Just for the record, on the engine in my truck now, I left all this alone and hooked the EBPV up to a switch to use as a poor mans jake brake, works great and wouldn't do it anyother way myself. Later Whit
Old 01-07-2010, 06:32 PM

EBPV delete question - Powerstroke Nation

Deezel, I could not find anything on the org. Check this out its what I used to get the idea on how to do it to mine. Once again, this is not really gonna help the horsepower or torque but wiring it to a switch if the EBPV is working works great as an exhaust brake. Later Whit PM me if you have any more questions and I'll help all I can.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:18 AM

Thanks for your help Whit. Much appreciated. I don't have the means to weld so I was hoping to cut off cylinder and plug all necessary holes.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:40 AM

Hey deezel, just behind the rear plug is where the feed hole is from the oil, thats why most use a coreplug, its just about wide enough to completely plug that hole off and what gets by goes right back in the oil pan. I think I read it was a 22mm coreplug but I'm not sure, I happened to have a few around my shop so used one but didn't measure it. Later Whit
Old 01-08-2010, 01:43 AM
Emergency Services

well theres a write up on it on HERE somewhere, I did a write up a little while back,I gutted the EBPV and welded up the hole, then gutted the turbo pedestal and filled the hole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.