Another Rookie with questions??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2006, 05:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Another Rookie with questions???

Thanks for the forum I have learned a lot reading prior posts. I just purchased a 1997 F-250 crew cab with 88,000 miles. I hope it turns out to be a good truck so far I love it. I bought the truck to tow my fifth wheel and for hunting and other outdoor adventures. My questions if the following...
1. Should I remove the catylitic converter?? The county I live in does not emission check diesels?
2. Contemplating a edge evolution chip with magnaflow 4" exhaust. Will this help my towing or endanger my tranny and motor? ( The fifth wheel I will be towing will be about 11, 500 loaded.)
3. Any other suggestions?
Thanks for the input it is much apprectiated.
Chad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2006, 05:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryMeat
Thanks for the forum I have learned a lot reading prior posts. I just purchased a 1997 F-250 crew cab with 88,000 miles. I hope it turns out to be a good truck so far I love it. I bought the truck to tow my fifth wheel and for hunting and other outdoor adventures. My questions if the following...
1. Should I remove the catylitic converter?? The county I live in does not emission check diesels?
2. Contemplating a edge evolution chip with magnaflow 4" exhaust. Will this help my towing or endanger my tranny and motor? ( The fifth wheel I will be towing will be about 11, 500 loaded.)
3. Any other suggestions?
Thanks for the input it is much apprectiated.
Chad
in my opinion....if your gonna do the exhaust....then pull the cat since there is no inspection for it.....and i would highly reccomend the exhaust....as far as the chip...if your gonna do the chip..do the exhaust.....the chip will raise EGT's and no sence putting extra heat into the system that the larger exhaust will help with......and yes.....the chip could potentially...and i mean potentially put some danger of trans failure......but wont affect motor life noticably. the motor is actually built to handle more...the trans is the weak link. that said....proper service intervals will not prevent trans failures....but will keep them in the best possible condition thus reducing the likelyhood of a failure. an un-maintained trans is likely to fail even in a bone stock truck....so really the chip isnt the main culperate....although with bumped line pressures....it may bring problems that are going to come regardless.....it may bring those problems out sooner....but all and all...i would maintain her and probably would chip her and put some exhaust on if it was my rig........i also like the looks of this air filter a lot........
http://powerstrokeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=685
........Marc
Marc
Old 03-24-2006, 05:25 AM

Question

I have the same year truck. After reading this site a bit and thinking about mods, It seem for our years that the Down pipe from the turbo is the choke point of the exhaust system, the way it pancakes out. So unless your willing to "make" enough room for it, by pounding back the firewall, how can an increased pipe after it really help?

Just wondering,
Old 03-24-2006, 05:27 AM
Banned

think about it 97 stick........i give you a five foot long pipe and make you blow through it.........

one pipe is 1 inch the whole way down.......

the other pipe is 1 inch for the first foot.....but then jumps to two inches......

which one is easier to blow through????????

Marc
Old 03-24-2006, 01:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the advice Marc. I have the truck at Gillette Diesel in Salt Lake and they are working on it even as we speak. They were out of Mangaflo exhasust systems but will have it done on Monday i can't wait to see how she will run.
Chad
Old 03-24-2006, 04:27 PM

Wink

Ok. Thought I said "correct me if I'm wrong" not "insult me if I'm wrong"
Old 03-24-2006, 04:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97stick
Ok. Thought I said "correct me if I'm wrong" not "insult me if I'm wrong"
i dont see where you said that at all
Old 03-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to overl0rd Send a message via AIM to overl0rd
Just make sure you're running stock or the lowest tune when you're pulling, if you have it on the lowest tune be EXTRA watchful of the EGTs. A pyrometer is a must when running a chip or pulling a load, and if you have an auto I'd advise a tranny temp gauge aswell.

It's not really that hard to fit the 3" downpipe, especially if you have a porta power available to you. Even if you don't it's not a big deal.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to adrenalinejunky
I second what Marc said about maintacning the tranny, also I highly recommend an after market tranny cooler. My '97 was puking tranny fluid when plowing, called JEGs and got their biggest cooler with an auxilary fan that we just ran to a switch. Have never had any problem since, run synthetic fluids, tow 10k+ and plow with out problems and the tranny has 160k on it.
a cool tranny is a happy tranny
Old 03-28-2006, 01:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all of the advice it is much appreciated. I will definetely keep an eye on the tranny temperature and keep things as cool as possible.
Thanks again,
Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.