newbe questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2006, 05:48 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to adrenalinejunky
Red face newbe questions

hi guys,
new to the forum and luvin' what I see. Obviously love the PS but as 99% of us looking for more
My truck '97 reg cab long bed, and is a company truck, any performance stuff is outa my pocket so I am looking semi cheap. So......
heard cold air intake, and straight pipe the exhaust does wonders. Some guys leave the cat other take out both, anyone know the pros and cons? This truck does DD and hauling for a landscaping company so locally it's towing up to 14k.
Open for suggestions and ball busting too, I can take it

Also same qustions for boss' truck... '03 crewcab long bed king ranch, although he is looking to spend up to about $1500 for 5", air, and chip by mid summer, just thinking straight pipe till then.

thanks.....

Last edited by adrenalinejunky; 03-19-2006 at 05:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2006, 07:25 AM
Banned

if your looking to stay pretty cheap on yours...yea...the intake, opening up the exhaust...and a chip are all relatively easy ways to go.....but if you put much of a chip in it you may want to consider putting an EGT gauge in it just to be safe......

as far as you boss's.....is it a 7.3 or a 6.0?.....if its a 7.3....the sky is the limit if hes looking to spend that kind of dough....but if its a 6.0, especially since its an early build......hes asking for problems if he gets very crazy with the chipping......just a warning though.......Marc
Old 03-19-2006, 07:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to F350SUPERDUTY
adrenalinejunky-Welcome to the forum!! Mschn99 really knowws his stuff. Go with his suggestions. If your boss is a 6.0L I just but an exhaust system on my '03 reg.cab. Sounds great , its a lot of turbo.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:04 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Welcome to Powerstroke.org! No ball bustin here, we're all here for the same reason - to have fun and share our love of diesels.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:17 PM

so if I don't have the cash for the chip till later summer and only do air will I notice a difference in mileage and power? and should I straight pipe the muffler, cat or both? I know the banks exhaust off ebay is about 550ish, just looking for a lil extra and cheap since it is a company truck.

as far as the boss' truck being an early 6.0 I think it will be airaid and banks with a light chip.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalinejunky
so if I don't have the cash for the chip till later summer and only do air will I notice a difference in mileage and power? and should I straight pipe the muffler, cat or both? I know the banks exhaust off ebay is about 550ish, just looking for a lil extra and cheap since it is a company truck.

as far as the boss' truck being an early 6.0 I think it will be airaid and banks with a light chip.
you will not notice a ton of power with a exhaust or intake set up...but some.....your milage should improve though.......and as far as exhaust....the muffler is optional....it all depends on what kind of sound you want....and i would only leave the cat on if your state requires any kind of inspection....if it doesnt its just robbing power......i would also consider doing the downpipe though if your gonna do the exhaust.......but just the exhaust is still an improvement.......Marc
Old 03-19-2006, 03:33 PM

buddy has just the down pipe and a drop in KnN and he smokes me, so maybe once we get back to work (only down fall to landscaping) Ill just do the down pipe, air, and straight pipe the rest of the exhaust.
thanks for all the advice guys....keep it rolling
Old 03-19-2006, 03:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
buddy has just the down pipe and a drop in KnN and he smokes me, so maybe once we get back to work (only down fall to landscaping) Ill just do the down pipe, air, and straight pipe the rest of the exhaust.
thanks for all the advice guys....keep it rolling
any time man......this is a great forum...there is no lack of knoledge here....you may even want to look at the link below on the air filter idea.....
http://powerstrokeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=685
http://www.powerstrokeforum.com/foru...=9841#post9841
Old 03-27-2006, 04:45 PM

ok so I was told I should put a 5" piece in when I take the cat and muffler out......... any thoughts? why, or why not...
thanks guys
Old 03-27-2006, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
ok so I was told I should put a 5" piece in when I take the cat and muffler out......... any thoughts? why, or why not...
thanks guys
a 4 inch exhaust is fine....there are no proven gains between four and five that ive ever seen.....turbo outlet is 3.5.....so as long as its bigger than that....you should be good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.