Inadequate reverse lighting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Inadequate reverse lighting

With my 2000 F250, I cannot see anything at night through the back window when I back up. It is so pitch dark back there. The tint film on the glass is one reason, but the other reason is the inadequate OEM reverse lighting.

Does anyone have the same issue? if you do, how do you resolve it?

I am thinking of some sort of a halogen flood light mounted on the hitch where it plugs into the tow hitch electrical outlet. Has anyone tried that route?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yep, buy some cheap fog or driving lights, and hook them up with a separate fuse/relay.
I mounted them under the bumper where the hitch would protect them.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta 7.3 View Post
Yep, buy some cheap fog or driving lights, and hook them up with a separate fuse/relay.
How do you make that electrical connection? to the current OEM reverse light?
Old 12-30-2009, 12:54 PM

Reverse lights on any vehicle are indicators (like turn signals; same light intensity, actually), not intended for illumination. For illumination, I found a pair with brackets made for a box-section receiver hitch (the lights are basically driving lights as described above ^^^^). Just haven't gotten around to mounting them yet, since the cheapo set didn't include a relay or enough wiring to get straight power from up front. They actually expected that you'd run them (two 55W H3s) directly off the reverse light wiring .

For short-term use, there's one that shoves directly into a 7-wire round trailer light socket. We keep one in the driver's door pocket. A license-plate-mount camera with a little monitor on the dash helps a LOT too.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:09 PM
shaking things up

i bought a set of cheap slim driving lights for both my trucks and i mounted them under the bumper and just spliced them into the stock reverse wires so they come on when the truck is in reverse and have had no issues to date the ones on my ranger have been there for almost 3 years no problems. i installed them originally for backing down boat ramps when i went night fishing but liked them so much i mounted them on every vehicle in the driveway my dads jeep, my moms truck and my 2 trucks buy cheap ones cause you will eventually break them off lol then it is not as much of a hurt to your wallet lol
Old 12-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Premium Member

I have 55w driving lights on both of my trucks. Mounted to the hitch. I have a switch on the dash on my 03 and Upfitter #1 on my 05 . I chose to use a separate switch so I can run them anytime. Very helpful hooking or unhooking a trailer at night.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWT92 View Post
I have 55w driving lights on both of my trucks. Mounted to the hitch. I have a switch on the dash on my 03 and Upfitter #1 on my 05 . I chose to use a separate switch so I can run them anytime. Very helpful hooking or unhooking a trailer at night.
Did you wire it directly to the battery?
Old 12-30-2009, 03:37 PM
shaking things up

if you want them to be operated by a switch yes to the battery would be the best then to a switch then to the lights and you can ground them to the frame if you wire them that way. is is really easy to get them to be temporary and come on every time if you splice them into the reverse wire then no switches to hit every time you back up. just remove the light from the housing on each side and locate the hot wire and remove the insulation then connect your wire and wrap it with tape then drop the wire down the inside of the bed and connect the wire to the hot side of the light and then ground the ground wire to the frame do this on both sides as to not overload one side to much.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas360 View Post
Did you wire it directly to the battery?
Ahhhhhhh, its been awhile, I think I went right to the battery, I know I hooked it up so I can turn them on even if the key is off.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Premium Member

i been looking into geting reverse lights for both my trucsk too, i like the idea of them being ona independent switch so you can turn them on when in park or when being tailgated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.