Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Inadequate reverse lighting

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  stroken04 
#1 ·
With my 2000 F250, I cannot see anything at night through the back window when I back up. It is so pitch dark back there. The tint film on the glass is one reason, but the other reason is the inadequate OEM reverse lighting.

Does anyone have the same issue? if you do, how do you resolve it?

I am thinking of some sort of a halogen flood light mounted on the hitch where it plugs into the tow hitch electrical outlet. Has anyone tried that route?

#2 ·
Yep, buy some cheap fog or driving lights, and hook them up with a separate fuse/relay.
I mounted them under the bumper where the hitch would protect them.

#4 ·
Reverse lights on any vehicle are indicators (like turn signals; same light intensity, actually), not intended for illumination. For illumination, I found a pair with brackets made for a box-section receiver hitch (the lights are basically driving lights as described above ^^^^). Just haven't gotten around to mounting them yet, since the cheapo set didn't include a relay or enough wiring to get straight power from up front. They actually expected that you'd run them (two 55W H3s) directly off the reverse light wiring :yikes: .

For short-term use, there's one that shoves directly into a 7-wire round trailer light socket. We keep one in the driver's door pocket. A license-plate-mount camera with a little monitor on the dash helps a LOT too.

#5 ·
i bought a set of cheap slim driving lights for both my trucks and i mounted them under the bumper and just spliced them into the stock reverse wires so they come on when the truck is in reverse and have had no issues to date the ones on my ranger have been there for almost 3 years no problems. i installed them originally for backing down boat ramps when i went night fishing but liked them so much i mounted them on every vehicle in the driveway my dads jeep, my moms truck and my 2 trucks buy cheap ones cause you will eventually break them off lol then it is not as much of a hurt to your wallet lol

#6 ·
I have 55w driving lights on both of my trucks. Mounted to the hitch. I have a switch on the dash on my 03 and Upfitter #1 on my 05 . I chose to use a separate switch so I can run them anytime. Very helpful hooking or unhooking a trailer at night. :wink[3]:

#8 ·
if you want them to be operated by a switch yes to the battery would be the best then to a switch then to the lights and you can ground them to the frame if you wire them that way. is is really easy to get them to be temporary and come on every time if you splice them into the reverse wire then no switches to hit every time you back up. just remove the light from the housing on each side and locate the hot wire and remove the insulation then connect your wire and wrap it with tape then drop the wire down the inside of the bed and connect the wire to the hot side of the light and then ground the ground wire to the frame do this on both sides as to not overload one side to much.

#10 ·
i been looking into geting reverse lights for both my trucsk too, i like the idea of them being ona independent switch so you can turn them on when in park or when being tailgated

#11 · (Edited)
i been looking into geting reverse lights for both my trucsk too, i like the idea of them being ona independent switch so you can turn them on when in park or when being tailgated
Yea, they work good for that too, and when someone behind has their high beams on . :nod:

This isnt the best of shots, but the lights on my 03. I got them at Autozone and was like $15.

#15 ·
I also mounted a set of driving lights on my hitch and ran the switch to the dash board. I can flip them on at night when towing to check on the trailer tires and they are great for hooking up or unhooking trailer at night. I have turned 'em on when a rice burner disappears behind my tailgate. They will usually back off. :nod:

Oh yeah...they sure light up the area behind the truck when backing up! :hehe:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.