Transmission flush - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 07:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission flush

I finished installing a Tru Cool transmission cooler on my 2000 F250 last night. After that, I flushed the transmission by disconnecting the return line to a 3/8" clear tube going into a container.

I was expecting to see six to seven quarts of trannie fluid coming out before bubble showing up and having to turn off engine and added new oil to the transmission. Only four quarts coming out of the line before bubbles showing up in the line and I had to stop engine to refill. That happened four times before I added a total of 20 quarts.

The question here is WHY only four instead of six quarts came out each time? does that mean my transmission oil pan is smaller than it is supposed to?

Last edited by mas360; 12-30-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2009, 07:41 AM

No. lol. Was the trans cold? You may need to give it a tiny bit of pedal to get the pump going. for a routine flush I go to Jiffy lube and have them power flush it. doesn't cost much more than buying the 17 qts your self. They use penzoil multi purpose heavy duty atf. lowered my temps and improved trans behavior. Been running it for a few k now. Still smells good.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:05 AM

I used to take my vehicles to lube shop, but now I'd rather do it myself as I am not sure of what they put in my transmission and if their flush machine is properly cleaned after each job. The dollar saving is not the issue. It costs $60 to do myself versus $100 at the shop.

My next door neighbor has a Nissan Murano like mine. He took it to a lube shop and these people put regular ATF into it. His transmission failed less than 40 miles later. The Murano has a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) and it uses a special oil, not regular ATF or Mercon V. It costs him 6.5K to replace it. Nissan states clearly that if transmission fails due to using wrong trannie oil, that voids warranty. He is still in legal dispute against the shop.

No, the procedure is to leave engine running at idle to pump fluid out of trannie.

Last edited by mas360; 12-30-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
dont use mercon V. thats all imma say.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:01 AM

u have to replace a certin seal to run synthetic. When i had mine rebuilt the guy told me he upgraded it and i saw it too. Now im running Mobile 1 Synthetic ATF. Dont worry i flushed the cooler lines competyl with the stuff in the can then blew it out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.