Injector o-rings - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 08:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Injector o-rings

Im doing them tommarro at my buddys garage is there anything advice from anybody on doing them? Where is the fuel drain plug? Also how to start the truck after installing them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 08:57 AM
wriott

dont worry about draining the fuel rail. just make sure you get all fluids out of the cyl before you try to start it... i pull the GPs out and turn it over by hand a few times, then use the starter until all cyls are clear. it will take ALOT of cranking to get all the air out of the HPO system
Old 12-29-2009, 09:07 AM
Shaking the Bush Boss

agreed...............

What was the synptoms to suspect the O rings?
Old 12-29-2009, 09:40 AM

I did mine like this:
  1. remove intake tubing
  2. remove valve covers
  3. zip tie wriring harnesses out of the way
  4. using i beleive 1/8" allen socket, remove all four oil rail drain plugs.....DO NOT DROP THESE INTO THE ENGINE....I also pulled the front oil rail plug to facilitate draining each head, as well as the HPOP line and let threm drain to crankcase, i also pull the HPOP res plug as well
  5. using a quarter inch ratchet, crack open fuel plugs each head, let rail drain, i also cracked open the fuel lines to get some air in there to speed draining, as well as drained the fuel bowl
  6. Remove injector spill spouts
  7. remove outer (bottom) injector hold down bolt, slide retainer up, use small pry bar under hold down to pop injector out....may have to fuss a bit, but they'll come out. resist the temptation to pry on the selenoid body.....
  8. after you pull each injector out, label them to their corresponding cylin der, and make sure the copper crush washer is on the tip of the injector, if not fish it out of the injector bore
  9. replace injector o rings according to the order they are on the injector now (the new o ring's are an updated design if you have a 94 95 96, you'll see the difference) check out Dieselmann's page....http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/injoring.jpg , as well as install the new copper crush washer
  10. Dip each injector into fresh oil, and lay to the side, wrapped in shop towels (blue kind on a roll, no lint)
  11. replace oil rail plugs, HPOP lines, tighten fuel rail drain plugs snug, bumpe engine over by hand to remove any oil or fuel in the cylinders
  12. after you rering the injectors, you can reinstall them, but dip each injector again into fresh oil before you put them back in, do not twist them as you are inserting them, must be straight motion. resist the tempatation to hammer on the selenoid body, tap on the injector hold down until the injector seats. It takes some fussing, but they'll seat
  13. after installing the injector, torque the hold down bolts to proper spec 120 in/lbs then reinstall spill spouts to same tourque spec
  14. reinstall valve covers, etc to return truck to pre surgery state, I filled the oil rail in the had thru the top plug, and also refilled the HPOP res.....did a quick check to make sure everything is back together and cranked her up. I cranked for about 8 seconds and she fired right up. I let her idle for a few minutes, and checked all my fluids, etc, and away I went.
I'm sure I left some things out, but if you have any questions, PM me and ill do my best to help out. I also took this oppurtunity to change the oil, oil filter, and fuel filter as well.

Last edited by ianstew; 12-29-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:45 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
how many bolts hold the injector down?
Old 12-29-2009, 09:48 AM

when cranking it over to get fluid from cylinders, you just have to leave the uvc harness unplugged right? That keeps injectors closed and no fuel getting in?
Old 12-29-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmount View Post
how many bolts hold the injector down?
2, but you only have to remove one, its the outside/bottom bolt IIRC, the injector hold down has a slot that the top bolt slides through

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmount View Post
when cranking it over to get fluid from cylinders, you just have to leave the uvc harness unplugged right? That keeps injectors closed and no fuel getting in?
i bumped mine over by hand, with the injectors out, and i got a little bit of oil out, but i was pretty anal about doing every thing i could to avoid getting oil in the cylinders, hence the draining of the oil and fuel rail procedure....
Old 12-29-2009, 10:10 AM

ok, thanks, if one wanted too you could install the injectors and remove the glow plugs? Then turn it over?
Old 12-29-2009, 10:15 AM

yes one could
Old 12-29-2009, 11:04 AM

I think ust turning it over with the injectors out woul work. i would be nervous that the passages for oil and gas would still allow stuff in afteryou weredone turning it over? With the injectors in and closedthat wont happen?
I want to remove my injectorssoon and do this.My truck runs great but startes funny even if plugged in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.