12-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
Join Date: Jul 2007
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I did mine like this:
- remove intake tubing
- remove valve covers
- zip tie wriring harnesses out of the way
- using i beleive 1/8" allen socket, remove all four oil rail drain plugs.....DO NOT DROP THESE INTO THE ENGINE....I also pulled the front oil rail plug to facilitate draining each head, as well as the HPOP line and let threm drain to crankcase, i also pull the HPOP res plug as well
- using a quarter inch ratchet, crack open fuel plugs each head, let rail drain, i also cracked open the fuel lines to get some air in there to speed draining, as well as drained the fuel bowl
- Remove injector spill spouts
- remove outer (bottom) injector hold down bolt, slide retainer up, use small pry bar under hold down to pop injector out....may have to fuss a bit, but they'll come out. resist the temptation to pry on the selenoid body.....
- after you pull each injector out, label them to their corresponding cylin der, and make sure the copper crush washer is on the tip of the injector, if not fish it out of the injector bore
- replace injector o rings according to the order they are on the injector now (the new o ring's are an updated design if you have a 94 95 96, you'll see the difference) check out Dieselmann's page....http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/injoring.jpg , as well as install the new copper crush washer
- Dip each injector into fresh oil, and lay to the side, wrapped in shop towels (blue kind on a roll, no lint)
- replace oil rail plugs, HPOP lines, tighten fuel rail drain plugs snug, bumpe engine over by hand to remove any oil or fuel in the cylinders
- after you rering the injectors, you can reinstall them, but dip each injector again into fresh oil before you put them back in, do not twist them as you are inserting them, must be straight motion. resist the tempatation to hammer on the selenoid body, tap on the injector hold down until the injector seats. It takes some fussing, but they'll seat
- after installing the injector, torque the hold down bolts to proper spec 120 in/lbs then reinstall spill spouts to same tourque spec
- reinstall valve covers, etc to return truck to pre surgery state, I filled the oil rail in the had thru the top plug, and also refilled the HPOP res.....did a quick check to make sure everything is back together and cranked her up. I cranked for about 8 seconds and she fired right up. I let her idle for a few minutes, and checked all my fluids, etc, and away I went.
I'm sure I left some things out, but if you have any questions, PM me and ill do my best to help out. I also took this oppurtunity to change the oil, oil filter, and fuel filter as well.
Last edited by ianstew; 12-29-2009 at 10:55 AM.