Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Melted glow plug harness

9K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  97OBS7.3L 
#1 ·
While replacing my injectors, I found melted connectors on the valve cover gaskets and on the harness outside the motor (engine harness??). But the internal harness which plug inside the valve cover gasket (to the injectors and glow plugs) were perfect.

I have the old gaskets which were perfect last time I replaced them; I will be reusing them. Last time I replaced them, I replaced my glow plugs with DieselRX glow plugs. Not sure what was in them before.

I know how to replace each pigtail and valve cover gasket.

May question is: why did this happen? How do I prevent this?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd run motorcraft glow plugs personally. Not too keen to aftermarket, look up the pin out. If the pins that are burnt are the ones going to the plugs, could be bad connection or bad plugs. Replacement isn't difficult but please solder and heat shrink, butt connectors are a nightmare.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
They are going to the glow plugs. Wires on each glow plug were melted except cylinder 8 glow plug. Connections on glow plugs were tight on there. Every glow plug tested 1.2 ohms or less. Did not think to do a continuity test before disassembling valve covers.

What boggles me is I've seen forums and pictures where they melt inside the valve cover gasket. Mine are all fine. The melted terminals are all outside the valve cover gasket.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Happened to me too about 4 years ago. Inside my UHVC no melt down, but had pre-ordered a new set with pig-tails in prep for GP replacement, so replaced UHVC and pig-tails anyway. Never figured out what caused it. All i can assume is the connection became loose and caused the melt down on the exterior connector with all the amp draw cycles over time. Wire insulation was stiff and looked cooked.

To date, no connector melt-down since, but some dead GP's again with P1395 P1396 codes (CA model). Autolite after 2 months literally blew = garbage (see pix). Napa (current) = better but 3 of 8 are dead after a few years. Going back to Motorcraft GP's.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.