1995 Powerstoke Pulling Problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1995 Powerstoke Pulling Problems

1995 powerstroke
35 bfg, 125K

I have a 1995 powerstroke with a complete banks kit, AFE a bulldog propane kit and i feel like my truck still does not pull ok. I took out my banks chip and i want to switch to a new chip but who do i go with? When i am pulling on flat land is does ok, but when i start to go up hills small or big it slows down and i can't go past 45mph (and i am not talking about huge hills), even when the truck is empty i have to give it more gas than normal. I have had many trailers and it does the same thing from my 16ft toyhauler to my current 24ft trailer. Trailer weight at most is 8K. Any ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2007, 03:59 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

When you say complete banks kit i assume you mean the exhaust also right?

If you wanna ditch the banks I would look into a TS chip or a Tony Wildman, they both come highly recomended around here. Either way you go your not going to get a whole bunch of power til you go with bigger injectors, our trucks have smaller injectors than the SD body style therefore it is hard to make serious power without upgrading injectors.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, the complete kit. I was thiniking about getting the turbo from beans diesel next for 2 reasons, the turbo on my truck in now 12 years old and i dont want it to fail on me and i t cheaper for me. If i was going to change injectors, i would glow plugs and update the wiring harness under the valve cover. alot more money. Thanks for the info on the chip

Is there anybody out there has done a turbo upgrade on a 95 powerstroke?
Old 03-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do you have any fuel leaks? Maybe a weak hpop? I also have a 95, and my turbo is still going strong, doesn't mean I won't upgrade it though Beans turbo has gotten really good reviews. tubzz, a member here has put one on his wifes truck, and he seems pleased with it. tubzz and lukecline both have the hypermax h2 style setups on thier trucks, but they are packin just a little more power than the average stroker To run the h2 turbo you would need to upgrade injectors, you already have an intercooler so that wouldn't be too hard, maybe a fuel system depending on what injectors you go with. Then you need some great tuning to tie it all together you can get that at totaldieselperformance.com Good luck
Old 03-20-2007, 08:26 AM

How long have you had the Banks kit installed? When I first installed my kit I didn't clean the contact points on the ecu good enough and it wasn't reading the chip. You may want to check that out before you ditch the chip, Banks will also check it for you to make sure the chip is working and the correct chip for your truck. Even without the chip installed it still made alot more power than stock. I have towed very heavy loads with my truck and haven't had any problems at all pulling hills since I installed the kit.

Jason
Old 03-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have had the kit of 2 years. I know the chip is working because i can feel the power loss when i took out the chip, also i have had it re-programmed once already. The truck moves good empty, but something isnt right....
I have no fuel leaks and another member said i may have a weak (hpop)?
What is that?

John
Old 03-20-2007, 04:38 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) sits right below the fuel filter housing
Old 03-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks.
Is the 10k Resistor Mod and buying edge EZF1000 chip the same mod. It looks like the same thing, just the 10k mod is alot cheaper. I have the edge unit already.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:24 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Do you have an auto or manual tranny? I don't see any reason to go with the 66 turbo from beans if you are gonna run stock injectors. I have everything in the banks kit, but not all of it is from banks. I have a Tony Wildman flip chip, and mine tows great. You may have a tranny problem or like said before weak HPOP or injectors. What rear gears do you have?
Old 03-20-2007, 05:27 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

The 10 k mod is not the same as a chip, but most chips do the same thing the 10k does and more. It increases HPOP pressure. I have one and could not see any difference other than a bad idle. Some people like 'em though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.