LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-07-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'96 7.3L New Owner question

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and would like to some expert advice on a new to me 1996 F250 7.3L Powerstroke if you would be so kind to take a couple of minutes of your time to answer a couple of my questions.

Here is the history on my new purchase: The original owner bought it brand new in 1996. He used it to haul travel trailers and fifth wheels for a living. At 150k he sold it to a airplane pilot who put 30k on it before becoming paralyzed. Following him, an older gentleman bought it because it was a "deal." He then sold it to me. It has 186k on it and not a spec of rust.

I recently serviced the: 1.) transmission 2.) oil change 3.) fuel filter change 4.) air filter change 5.) alignment What else should I get serviced at this point of the life of the vehicle?

Is there anything I should look out for in the next 10k miles or so? I have heard the transmission on these 7.3's are failure prone at around 200k, especially when used for towing a lot.

I also hooked up my Edge Insight CS2 monitor and have gotten these initial readings: EOT: 180-190 TFT: 160-175 Boost PSI: 10 psi on wide open throttle, 3-5 psi consistent when cruise is set at 65 going down highway. MAP PSI: 16-18 psi consistently The boost PSI seems a bit low to me. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-07-2017, 01:01 PM
U.S. Army 68 - 71

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
You are off to a good start with fully servicing the truck. It sounds like the previous owners took care of it. Having a monitor for info is important, the record points will help you see any patterns and pick up problems. There are many discussions on this forum about pressures and readings. The 7.3 will last a long time and when something breaks, fix it with quality parts. I wouldn't go modification wild until you have a feel for diesels. Like ease of starting, trans shift points, fuel mileage, exhaust color, suspension, brakes, etc. 186,000 miles is nothing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Good Old Days
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1999 F 350 work trucks 7.3
5 speed 2 wd dually
post #3 of 9 Old 03-07-2017, 02:26 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would change the transfer case fluid, rear dif fluid(it got hot towing trailer i'll wager), and flush the cooling system with a new thermostat(don't waste money on the 205 degree one).

Rear dif-pretty sure you can pick up Valvoline full synthetic 75w-140 with the limited slip additive at napa or walmart for the rear dif
T-case- just use the napa in-house brand of dexmerc to save money
coolant system- conventional green coolant and distilled water mixed at a 50/50 ratio. I would call ford to see if your truck requires the special anti cavitation additive or not though.

I didn't bring up the front dif because in my 99 f250 I changed everything fluid and I mean everyone and the front dif fluid was 18 years old and looked brand new lol

currently-1999 F250 SBRB 4X4 7.3, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, AIS Intake, Hydra, Level kit, 33s.

-2004 F350 CCLB 4x4: Sinister Race solutions kit, CAT ELC Edge CS, SCT SF3, PHP Ficm programmer, Procomp, Rough country, and Nitto goodies.
-2004 excursion, banks exhaust, 03 turbo, aem intake. 4in lift, 35in kumhos
-2006 f350 king ranch, aem intake, 10 in fabtech, 40in tires, sct tunes.

Interested in learning something new?

Justin,
2F071 USAF 2008-2014

post #4 of 9 Old 03-07-2017, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I can confirm the rear diff fluid. I recently got 4 quarts worth from autozone. Valvoline full synthetic 75w-140 for around $12 a quart I think. Lots of guys will say keep a good CPS with you.

1997 F250 7.3L
DIY 6637 and 4" intake to the turbo
MBRP 3"DP to 4" exhaust to 6" custom hexagonal stack
Upgraded transmission oil pan
Pillar guages
5w40 and Donaldson Endurance ELF7405

post #5 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 02:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You'd be amazed at the difference a set of new / cheap shocks can do for the truck.. if you're doing the work yourself, it might be worth a thought.. some grease on the ball joints can't hurt, if your really trying to go over things.

On a "new to you" truck, it would be a VERY good idea to pop the intake tube off the turbo and check to see if you have ANY PLAY AT ALL in the turbo bearing.. there should be no movement at all.. turbos aren't cheap, paying for the damage a turbo can cause if it goes - even less so..

You can check the high pressure fuel lines on the front top of the engine for cracks.. anything rubber really.. check the valley of the motor for any dampness... rear leaf spring hangers are probably the first parts of these trucks to get any cancer underneath.. if the hangers are riveted in, they are original. If those are in good shape then all else is probably well.. if they have bolts holding them in, they have been replaced and you can give other areas a closer look.. hangers being replaced isn't a bad thing - just an indicator to look closer in other places.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you everybody.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How do I check for play in turbo bearing?
post #8 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 04:56 PM
Emergency Services

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
The short answer is to remove the inlet from the turbo. Inside you can see the compressor wheel; at the center of the wheel is a nut. Take hold of the nut and try to wiggle it around (up, down, side to side, and even in and out). If there is ANY movement, rebuild it with a 360-degree bearing kit.

I recently rebuilt mine and its not terrible after getting the turbo assembly off the engine.

1997 F350 4x4 CCLB PSD
E4OD
Stock ride height, Bilstein 5100 shocks
TS6
Riff Raff intake
1.0 A/R Turbine Housing, EBPV Delete, Riff Raff Billet Wheel (2nd Gen)
3" Diamond Eye down pipe; 4" muffler delete exhaust

post #9 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 08:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackPearl2 View Post
How do I check for play in turbo bearing?
Just to put it into prospective- a turbo spinning at its max rpm, if I remember correctly - can reach something like 135,000 rpm... so when it's said there is to be no play in that impeller bearing, there should be NO PLAY.. slight play will lead to more play.. that can lead to the impeller scoring the turbo housing, impeller fins being broken off, oil seals failing - im sure you see where it's going.. when it comes to the turbo, the bearing condition determines the turbos lifespan.. it's probably one of the easiest things to check that can have such a big effect on everything else..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode