Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

obs 1996 7.3l power stroke/injectors AD/AB?

8K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  SuperchargedPSD 
#1 ·
Hey people,
I new on this whole diesel concept, I bought a 96 ford power stroke and it needs injectors, per a diesel shop. I called sinister diesel and asked for injectors on a 96 ford f250 7.3l. They told me to buy DT730003R (DT73AD)
7.3L Power Stroke AD Injector's. So I did. When I opened the box and read the injector box's, ("they are all individually wrapped,") the sides of the boxes say 1999.5-2003) I went on the dipaco site and it says the same thing. I read dozens of forms and found no real solid information. I called the place that sold them to me, and they swear that they will work just fine. I called a few other web sites and they say no, they will not work. "But are very willing to sell me new injectors".
I don't know what to think, will or wont they work. Also I called the ford dealer, and they tell me that #8 injector is special. The ones I just bought are all the same? I need help from the guys that know. Any information would be awesome!!

#2 · (Edited)
It depends. Is your truck a federal truck or Cali truck? Do you know what injectors are in it currently? If it's a federal truck it has AA single shot injectors and if it's a Cali it will have AB split shots. The Cali trucks have differences with the fuel system and glow plug setup that can help you figure that out. You bought AD split shots. If the truck is cali you can plug those injectors in an good to go. If it is a federal truck you will need a tune for optimal running performance. You can run AD injectors on stock tuning but it may idle funny. Forget the AE #8 injector. It was an attempt to cure cackle noise. I have also read it had a lot to do with the superduty dead headed fuel system. The OBS trucks use a mechanical lift pump with regulated return. The positive side to upgrading from a AA single to AD split is the split shots are quieter. The AA injectors are 90cc. AB are 120cc splits. AD splits are 140cc. Split shots are quieter. They have more capacity so you can tune them for more power. Splits do use more high pressure oil. The OBS trucks run a 15° hpop and the SD trucks use a 17° except the early E99 trucks have the 15° pump with AB injectors.

If your in a pinch throw them in an order a chip with split shot tuning. Or return the injectors.

To recap running the AD injectors will be quieter, will need a tune to idle smoothly, may need a hpop for hotter tuning, stockish power level tune I would not worry. You may lose a slight amount of fuel economy running a split shot due to the pilot shot.

If your 96 is a cali your fuel pump will have the anti pulsating damper disc behind the fuel pump like below.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.