Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Fuel additive to clean injectors.

10K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  hoerle7315 
#1 ·
Hello guys. I'm curious if there is a fuel additive to clean injectors. What would be the best if there is? Thanks

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

#2 ·
If you use something like power service with every fill up it will keep you injectors clean and lubricated. Today's diesel fuel does not have the same lubricating qualities as it did 10 plus years ago. Some people like to use low ash 2 stroke oil or even atf in their fuel. Myself and all the trucks I work on use the power service. I even use it for the older buses in our school bus fleet.

#4 ·
You can buy the small bottle for about $6 and split it between tanks

#6 ·
I would advise an oil based addative for injector maintenance. Archoil ar9100 has proven itself for many Powerstroke engines in helping injectors. I hate admitting this but in some cases a few members poored a bottoms of seafoam in the fuel bowl to lol.

But archoil ar9100 will help your trucks huei system. For the fuel side diesel kleen is really economical and will help. I wouldn't ever use a bottle every single fill up but few times a year most definitely.

#7 ·
Remember, Seafoam has some stuff in it that isn't necessarily good in high quantities for a diesel, like Napatha and Isopropyl Alchohol, wouldnt do it too often.

#9 ·
It's kind of like religion: there are many variations out there with only one universal constant: it takes faith to make them work.

For me, my faith is using a mix of silver-bottle Power Service (about 1/3 ounce per gallon) and Walmart's Super Tech no-ash two-cycle oil (about 1/2 ounce per gallon). I remember the day I first started using it: a minute or five after starting the engine, the injector "clack" because noticeably quieter. What that means, who knows? But I was convinced it was better for the engine than not.

So far, so good.

#13 ·
I replaced mine Monday at 383k, 7 out of 8 still had the original O-Rings. I understand if you don't know the truck's history then yeah replacing them is good for peace of mind.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

#14 ·
The guy before me used it as wood hauler. Had rails on the side and what not. With a 11 foot bed and those rails that alot of wait. I rebuilt the fuel bowl already so I'm safe there. I know my front tank doesn't work which I'd like to fix as well

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Did you replace the fuel lines from pump to bowl?

#17 ·
I'd order the blue hose kit, biggest leaks in the valley are caused by them. Preventative maintenance is my big thing. If it runs good now I wouldn't change it. Check icp sensor for oil in connection, check ipr for burnt connector which typically happens because of a fuel bowl leak, I'd check the tin nut on the ipr too as it should be snug. Buy a spare CPS as its your greatest threat of failure. Spare Maxi fuses due to if you didn't replace the fuel element heater in the bowl, sooner or later it will come unsoldered and will leave you stranded if you don't have a Maxi fuse to spare. I'm having to buy a western plow glow plug relay cause I blow mine up every couple weeks just cause the stock ones aren't rated for the amperage a set of new glow plugs can pull, I'd check batteries/connections as they can be causes for slow starts among the normal things, alternators typically are a regular thing with my truck and many others, the regulator typically craps out and that can cause no starts, hard starts, etc. Injectors wouldn't be the worry cause if it was stock and worked hard, it wasn't worked that hard cause these engines stock tuned will not wind up quickly or pull all to hard. Seven Tree for a reason.

#19 ·
Sounds like you're on the right track then, it's your decision ultimately but 319k to me isn't an issue to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.