Good Truck gone Bad?!? Substantial Drivability Issues - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 Old 02-16-2017, 06:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiediesel01 View Post
I like this logic of how it works, thanks. That shuts down some other directions of thinking I was following, good.

This also makes me consider how long it takes for the fuel bowl to clear of air after a filter change. I changed the fuel filter a couple weeks back but the truck has been running since I changed it. However, I've been home since then only tooling around the local area in the truck and not getting it out on the highway for a good run. Could I have still had some trapped air in the system that hadn't worked it's way out yet?
I highly doubt it...never had an issue on my obs and i changed the filter many times over 200,000 miles.

Psalm 34:6 "This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him, and saved him out of all his trouble."
2006 F350 cc/cc, 230,000,
Edge Evo,
4" turbo back exhaust, 35/12.5/18 tires
zf6, bench seat so my honey can get close!
Wifes Ride...2003 Excursion, 6.0, 4" turbo back, SCT tuned, 285/75/16 tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 02-16-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by preachermanhull View Post
anything over 75 psi is bad.
Is everyone sure about this? What about all the "shimming the FPR" mods? The target there is 75-85 according to what I've been finding on some other enthusiast sites. There are also references to F6TZ-9K061-AA which is a replacement spring and such from Ford known as the California kit which does the same thing. It is shown as original equipment on Cali trucks which mine is.

What say the group?
post #13 of 14 Old 02-17-2017, 07:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiediesel01 View Post
Is everyone sure about this? What about all the "shimming the FPR" mods? The target there is 75-85 according to what I've been finding on some other enthusiast sites. There are also references to F6TZ-9K061-AA which is a replacement spring and such from Ford known as the California kit which does the same thing. It is shown as original equipment on Cali trucks which mine is.

What say the group?
Ok..if i remember (its been a while) correctly, min. pressure should be maintained at 40psi under all conditions. So even at idle or under full load you should have 40psi or more. Anything less is risking damage to the injectors (even though many of us, my self included have been under that number for one reason or another). Now, with 40psi you may or may not have 55-65psi just reving the engine under no load. Some people will upgrade the pressure relief spring or install a BB to raise that pressure. Here's where it gets interesting...International recommends no more than 70psi because above that you risk blowing lines and orings. Several (including myself) have blown fuel lines by "shimming" the fuel relief a bit to much. To sum up...you may or may not experience these same results but at anything over 70 psi i would be parking the truck til i could get things in check. At anything under 40 psi, i would be parking the truck til i could get things in check. Keep in mind...injectors and injector orings are expensive ventures either by way of labor or purchase price or both. A blown fuel line 50 miles from home is inconvient to say the least and may also get expensive. Also, if i saw a strange reading, i would double check with another gauge just to be sure i did have an issue. I would also assume that there may be air in the system (if fuel can leak out, air may get in) which could also cause some wierd readings. As per my original recommendation...i would let the truck sit til the new pump is in...then make sure all the air is out of the system and then recheck the pressure. I relly feel like the pump is the main issue...but if not, i would think checking/repairing the pressure regulator assembly would cure the problem. So, in response to your question...could you safely run 75-85 psi fuel pressure? Possibly, but 60-70 is plenty on these trucks. The main thing is to be sure you are maintaining atleast 40-45 psi under full load (say on a long hill, full throttle at 2500-2800 rpm's).

Psalm 34:6 "This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him, and saved him out of all his trouble."
2006 F350 cc/cc, 230,000,
Edge Evo,
4" turbo back exhaust, 35/12.5/18 tires
zf6, bench seat so my honey can get close!
Wifes Ride...2003 Excursion, 6.0, 4" turbo back, SCT tuned, 285/75/16 tires.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to preachermanhull For This Useful Post:
aggiediesel01 (02-17-2017)

post #14 of 14 Old 02-17-2017, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Got it, Thanks for the clarification and consequences. I just wanted to bring it up b/c of something I read explaining that Ford offered the different spring for the California trucks. For sure I have doubts about my gauge, it is a Harbor Freight special that's been around a few blocks literally so it will be cross checked with another one. Again, Thanks....Steven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode