Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Monster Transmission

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ChallengerRV 
#1 ·
Has anyone used a transmission from Monster? It looks like by converter and solenoids are on the way out. I could just replace those parts and likely be fine but since I have to drop the trans and it already has 100K on it I figure I should just go ahead and suck it up and replace the whole thing. With that said, I know everyone here is going to say get a BTS or a John Woods. I would love to but 6K is WAY out of the budget and since I mainly use this truck to tow my 5th wheel and ATV's for less the 5K miles a year I would have a hard time justifying the cost of a BTS even if I had the cash. So I'm interested in people's experience with other transmissions. Monster seems to have a good guarantee and a reasonable price of about $2300 with 3 disk billit steel converter. The trans I have now is a Ford reman installed by the PO and it has lasted for 100K miles. Right now those seem to be my top 2 options but I'm looking for others that may have done it differently or have experience with my top 2 choices.

#3 · (Edited)
Well...I will say Monster does a decent job with their gasser transmissions, but as for their diesel application builds, there's ALOT to be desired. They don't hold up. That being said and doing my best not to be "that sales guy" lol, we have a very very popular trans to fit what you're looking for.

http://cncfab.us/shop/sam-wyse-automotive-stage-1-4r100e4od-transmission/

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#4 ·
You could always just get it rebuilt locally. I had mine done with convertor for around $2400. Only add on I had was a trans cooler. I'm 50k +/- miles in and still pulling strong and 8k miles of that was pulling a #7500 trailer. Ask around for a shop that focuses on trucks.

#6 ·
I'm in the Colorado Springs / Denver area of Colorado. Pueblo would even be OK for a well recommended local shop that can give me a solid rebuild. Thanks

#8 ·
ZMANN you have a valid question. I also felt that $2300 might be a little low but 6K seems too high. That's why I'm looking for options. I did price out another Ford reman here with a stock replacement converter at $2700. Now neither of these prices include R&R just the trans it's self. I did also post in the local Colorado forum. I know that ATS is in Denver but I have not heard great things about them and they are not really much cheaper then Woods or BTS. The Sam-Wyse units that Cory sells sound like a good option but still push the way upper end of the budget. I would go there but not until I make sure I don't have any other options.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.