4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 01-28-2017, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glow plug relay question

I have been suspecting my gpr is going bad because of some cranky starts lately in cooler weather. I got around to testing it and my voltage to the hot side was 12.53 (same as my batteries) and with KOEO I get 10.5 to the other side of the relay. With KO I have zero on the glow plug side.

It is a tight fit in their on these vans and I could only see one relay on the left bank. There may have been another one hidden behind the alternator down low but I don't think I have the air intake heater. I want to make sure I am testing the correct relay. There was a click when I KOEO'd it.

Can somebody please verify for me that I should in fact have 12.53 on both sides of the relay with the KOEO? If it is bad this is the 3rd one in 5 years. Could somebody also recommend a heavier duty replacement? I have heard good things about the stancor, but there are options I think.

Thank You,
Kristian

Current diesels: 97 Quigley E350 7.3, 2005 Passat TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-28-2017, 01:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
I seem to remember that Corey sells a good one. @Corey@CNCFAB

2003 F-350, CC, LB, 285/75/16, Autometer Gages, Fox 2.0's (Thanks to Corey), Sninister Bypass Coolant Filter, 4" Turbo Back, 6.4 litre starter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-28-2017, 02:53 PM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Test your glow plugs at the uvch, the two outer pins are for the glow plugs.

2000 F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 7.3L LB 4X4 100% home brewed Biodiesel
ZF6 6SPD trans
Zoo Dad Mod
DP F5 Tuner
Wicked Wheel
AFE Intake
4" straight exhaust with 5" tip
Isspro 3 Gauge Pod
285/75/16 Cooper ATP on factory 16's
Banks Big Head

post #4 of 13 Old 01-28-2017, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasyF250 View Post
Test your glow plugs at the uvch, the two outer pins are for the glow plugs.
Before I get to testing the glow plugs at the harness I want to make sure that my relay is working. Should I have 10.5 volts on the working side with KOEO or should I have a full 12.5 like the hot side?

post #5 of 13 Old 01-28-2017, 03:17 PM

You should have the same on both side of the relay.

2003 F-350, CC, LB, 285/75/16, Autometer Gages, Fox 2.0's (Thanks to Corey), Sninister Bypass Coolant Filter, 4" Turbo Back, 6.4 litre starter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-28-2017, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyman97_3 View Post
You should have the same on both side of the relay.
Thank you, so the relay is bad. I have seen the stancor one and then the Western plow relay (5613k-2). I can't find any ratings on the plow relay. The stancor looks like overkill but maybe that is what it takes to not replace it again! Almost $30 difference in price.

post #7 of 13 Old 01-28-2017, 03:58 PM

Here is the one Corey sells.

CNC Fabrication LLC, Diesel Performance, WESTERN SNOW PLOW RELAY 56131K-2
Corey@CNCFAB likes this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to partyman97_3 For This Useful Post:
Corey@CNCFAB (01-31-2017)
post #8 of 13 Old 01-28-2017, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Here is some info for you on testing (its for the trucks and will work on vans too as there is no difference):

To check the glowplug relay (GPR), measure the voltage drop across the GPR's large terminals. While the GPR is active (up to 1.5 to 2 minutes after the key is turned to Wait-to-Start) put your meter leads on the large terminals (one lead on one large terminal and the other lead on the other large terminal). The measures how much voltage is being "lost" across the relay. A reading of 0.3V or more indicates a bad relay.

For checking the injector/glowplug wiring: From each valvecover gasket connection's outermost pins (2 per connector) to ground you should get 0.1 to 2 ohms (indicates good plug and wiring). From each valvecover gasket connection's center pin to each immediately adjacent pin, you should get around 3 ohms (indicates good injector solenoid and wiring). You should not get any continuity from any of the outer pins to the 3 inner pins (indicates no shorts between injector and glowplug wiring). You should also get 0 to 1 ohms from each of the external harness connectors outer pins back to the Glowplug Relay's large terminal on the GP side (indicates good wiring from external connections back to the relay).

Both the Western Plow (the Corey sells mentioned above) and the White Rodgers (formerly Stancor) 586-902 relays are good ones. I've used both and had no issues at all. They both mount a little different, but there are no problems with doing that. I'm currently running the Western Plow unit as I can get it to fit under the decorative engine cover with the shunt on my California 97 truck. Cheers!
Corey@CNCFAB and partyman97_3 like this.

1997 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, External Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD - 1994 F350 CC DRW 2WD PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, DPPI DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer Overhead Console, A-Pillar w/ISSPRO Black Ice, EV Boost, and EV Pyro, Modified Pedestal, Gutted EBPV.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-28-2017, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
Here is some info for you on testing (its for the trucks and will work on vans too as there is no difference):

To check the glowplug relay (GPR), measure the voltage drop across the GPR's large terminals. While the GPR is active (up to 1.5 to 2 minutes after the key is turned to Wait-to-Start) put your meter leads on the large terminals (one lead on one large terminal and the other lead on the other large terminal). The measures how much voltage is being "lost" across the relay. A reading of 0.3V or more indicates a bad relay.
I should go back in and test it this way to make sure. I tested each main terminal to chassis ground, not across both terminals. It's difficult to get both hands in there to hold the leads but I'll see what i can do. Thank you for the responses. If I do need a new one I'll get the plow relay.

I'll report back what reading I get tomorrow afternoon.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-28-2017, 07:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Mentioned: 382 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Just so you know, the Western plow relay has the same specs as the Stancor. 800a inrush capacity with 150a 100% duty cycle. It's actually made by Trombetta. I sell alot of them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode