LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-27-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Power stumble near 3k rpm

Hey yall, here is an experience tester.

My truck has done this for the last couple years since ive owned it.

Occasionally ill get the wild hair and just want to wrap my rpms to stretch her legs and clean everything out. Well as id get higher into it about 2800 and above it would stumble hard till i let out and pop blackish smoke.

I started thinking about it trying to decipher in my head what of the many culprits it could be and setteled on the HPOP going bad and couldnt keep up in the higher rpm range as it happened consistantly at or near the same spot every time. It didnt bother me much as again it was around 3k rpm and i hardly drove it that way but to stretch her legs every now and then i if someone pissed me off in traffic.

I continued to ponder the issue until i decided to purchase an adrenaline HPOP, started thinking it over and said its near 300k on the clock and thats not my normal driving rpm range and anything below it runs fine so why fix what isnt broke or broken enough to effect my daily routine even towing.

Well the other day i was towing a skid steer and gross trailer weight i figure came in around 10k which isnt a huge load but its enough to make my old girl labor a bit. I had to hit the highway and while entering i had to run out the gears to get up to traffic speed and couldnt help but need that extra rpm.

Third gear is where i got it to the problem area of 2800 and above and it stumbeled as it always did, i figured WTH stay in it and if it goes ill fix it but if its something that can clear with a little tough love great. While she was B******* at me in third i shifted and held that gear to 3k and it didnt stumble nearly as bad. I finally hit my exit and had to take some back roads with turns and dips and stops and decided to just run those gears to 3k every change and try to clear it seeing as after i held 3k in 3rd it seemed to help.

Well since thursday i have been able to drive my truck repedetly to 3k and above every gear with no stumble, im extatic about that as whatever it was it clears out.

At this point im leaning to the culprit being sticktion in the near 300k tired injectors and getting them cycling fast like that in the upper rpm range flushed out and cleaned them up.

What are yalls thoughts on it?

Sorry for the long story but had to give background of the problem and the end result, thanks for reading if you got to this point hahaha.

97 toredor red metallic f350 XLT CCLB ZF5 7.3 4wd
HPO X-over, riff raff up pipes, 1.00 housing, WWII, 3" dp, 4" exhaust, Tymar intake, riff raff boots, 6.0 fan, tow pig in progress

15 white wrangler jku auto 4" MOPAR lift, fox remote res shocks, fox dampner, black rufino nitros, sun shades, hand grips, floor mats, blah ,blah.

00 Dutchman classic 30' 5er
GN attachment in pin box, new roof compliments of wood rot due to leaks, updating interior currently a work in progress.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-27-2017, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Just tired injectors that needed loosened up. Running 3k periodically is fine. It takes alot to hurt these motors with stock injectors they're built to take abuse. As long as the oil level and oil itself are good then you can run it hard and be ok.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-28-2017, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Thats what i was thinking also about the injectors, yeah these engines are tough which is why i didnt care too bad about hirtinf that rpm occasionally and soing it to clean it out.

Thanks for the input and glad you and i are on the aame track of thought with it.

HPO X-over, riff raff up pipes, 1.00 housing, WWII, 3" dp, 4" exhaust, Tymar intake, riff raff boots, 6.0 fan, tow pig in progress

15 white wrangler jku auto 4" MOPAR lift, fox remote res shocks, fox dampner, black rufino nitros, sun shades, hand grips, floor mats, blah ,blah.

GN attachment in pin box, new roof compliments of wood rot due to leaks, updating interior currently a work in progress.

post #4 of 5 Old 01-28-2017, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
That is not a symptom of worn injectors. I would have data logged things like ICP at 3K. It could have been an IPR problem and still could be. If the problem goes away for good then no big deal some times the issue comes back and sometimes it only gets worse. Without listening to it and logging data it's hard to say what caused the issue.

97 4x4 Eaton supercharged 7.3, S369sxe R&D IDI performance T4 mount, my B350/200s, my tuning, honey badger SR hpop, Valair Ceramic single, BMW M3 bucket seats, SKY 5" RSK/Skyjacker TTB , SKY RFK & shackles, Toyo M/T

Waiting on installation: more fuel system parts

1948 GMC 4-53T Detroit, 1945 Chevy rat rod dually 4-51 Detroit, project mean green 8V53 Detroit, 1951 Mack A51T

Last edited by SuperchargedPSD; 01-28-2017 at 08:27 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-31-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Nah dont think its a wear issue with them, mainly think its a stiction issue.

If i said wear or worn i apologise.

EDIT: I am however not ruling out a faulty IPR sensor though. Dont see the ICP sensor causing an issue like that, if it were it would be at all rpm instead of higher rpm where higher injection prrssure is required as well as more HP oil.

Only thing you can hear and see is it cuts out on fuel stumbles then kicks smoke when everything kicks back in and its instantaneous when it happens, sometimes will do it once others alot till i let out.

Again its not my normal operating range so no biggie to me.

Last edited by That Other Guy; 01-31-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode