Door locks not working - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-25-2017, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Door locks not working

I have a 97 F250 with a aftermarket remote starter with the usual lock/unlock functions.
About a year ago, i lost the majority of my unlock and lock functions in the truck at the power lock switches and on the key fob of the aftermarket system. The passenger side only has the lock function, and that is it. The one weird thing is that when you go turn the key to ON and wait for the wait to start light to turn off, the locks automatically lock like they should. Its like I have a break somewhere, but the wiring on the remote starter kit looks good. Any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 F250 7.3L
DIY 6637 and 4" intake to the turbo
MBRP 3"DP to 4" exhaust to 6" custom hexagonal stack
Upgraded transmission oil pan
Pillar guages
5w40 and Donaldson Endurance ELF7405

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-26-2017, 06:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Check/clean ALL contacts on the switches in the doors. These switches have some contacts closed even when in the "neutral" position; something to do with how current flows so either switch operates both locks, and how they reverse polarity based on which way you rock the switch. The auto-lock feature probably bypasses the door switches and goes right to the solenoids, which is probably why it works even with inop door switches.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-26-2017, 03:19 PM
ptp
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
...just a funny note, my OEM key fob lock/unlock doesn't work below freezing!

have to use a key, and the keys are all worn SO much they barely open the door locks...ignition no problem.

so..imagine some old fart fiddling around with cold fingers trying to get into his rig......LOL!

post #4 of 7 Old 01-26-2017, 04:35 PM
U.S. Army 68 - 71

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Have you replaced the batteries in the fob?

The Good Old Days

1999 F 350 work trucks 7.3
5 speed 2 wd dually
post #5 of 7 Old 01-26-2017, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

I haven't replaced the batteries in the fob, and now that i think about it, I'm pretty sure it is able to lock the truck. And my locks are on the way out so sometimes I cant even get the driver door to unlock, and need to use the passenger side. I think ill try and do some continuity tests between the remote unit under the dash and the terminals in the lock switches.

1997 F250 7.3L
Pillar guages

post #6 of 7 Old 01-31-2017, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Update: Fixed the locks! Its been more than a year, and I finally got tired of reaching over to open the passenger door for people. Through inspection, I found a broken wire in the rubber gasket/sleeve that goes between the truck and the door. Everything works now!

This makes tons of sense to me now, lock would work on passenger side, nothing else. Key fob lock would work. So this broken wire was part of the unlock wiring, and basically disabled that portion of the system.

I'm a happy camper now!

1997 F250 7.3L
Pillar guages

post #7 of 7 Old 02-14-2017, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Glad that it was an easy fix! I love it when that happens! Great looking truck BTW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode