Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Where to get a rear sending unit without breaking the bank?

5K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  That Other Guy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, I'm looking for a diesel sending unit for the rear 18/19 gal tank without breaking the bank. The one from LMC truck is $150 and there are no part outs near me. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: The best chance is to order one through LMC truck for $150 plus $24 shipping. Before you order, be sure to check eBay, or Craigslist and the forum classifieds for part outs. Be quick though, these parts are usually the first to sell on a truck. Check a junk yard while you can, although trucks over 15 years are beginning to become rare. Typically, they're only 150s in a yard. While you're there, grab a fuel filler neck if you need one. The gases can be altered to fit a diesel nozzle. http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/94...e-discussion/762050-obs-fuel-filler-neck.html

If you're determined to tinker, you can alter a gasoline unit to become a diesel. You need to take the fuel pump off the gas sending unit and put either a OEM diesel boot or "hat" on the end, or just put a couple inches of fuel line on it. According to Dan OHora, from Tri Star Radiator, "you can modify a gas unit to work in the diesel. Basically you have to remove the fuel pump and put an extension tube down to the bottom to pick up the fuel. The rheostat resistance will be the same so there should be no problem making your fuel gauge operate."

Furthermore, if your unit is in salvageable condition, ship your unit out to here or these guys. Typically, you can expect to pay $75-175 for a rebuild and 2-3 weeks of downtime.

See less See more
#3 ·
I looked at ebay and rock auto, but neither had any sending units for the diesels. I'm trying to avoid paying the 150 for one at LMC, but I guess I will in a couple days

#8 ·
heard of using bronco ones... I'd not be afraid to get one that is electrical compatible/seals up and bending /extending the float as necessary.....
I've looked into this before and haven't heard anything definitive, besides the actual pick up tubes are different diameter for gas vs. diesel. If there was a post explaining how to do it, I would certainly be down.

As for the Ford part number, I'm not sure how to get it. The call out number on fordparts is 9275.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
mine didn't have a pump as in yer illustration, just the tubes and the actual potentiometer (dual tank system)
only 2 wires needed for a reading.
i was thinking you just needed to replace the electronic variable potentiometer.....in whc

here's pics of mine attached...had it out last year.....did in fact price out new ones but they would have to be modified for the larger tank...so i went for it...working so far!
the part number on the top of the entire assembly was
F6TU-9275-DB
then the actual potentiometer had it's own part number.
F4TU9A..........SEE if you can make it out......

Attachments

#10 ·
@ptp, good catch. I'm not sure why Ford calls it a "fuel pump and sender"; I am looking for just the standard pick up line assembly. Unfortunately, the lines on top of my assembly were awfully rusted and snapped off. I wish I only needed the potentiometer, but I need the entire unit for the tank.

I found these two dorman pickups on summit racing. They're for 7.3's, but doesn't specify which years so they might be for IDIs.
22 gal (never heard of this size before) behind rear axle https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-692-115/overview/make/ford
18 gal "before the axle"(16 gallon is front tank, no?) https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-692-072/overview/make/ford

#11 ·
i can't help much further, other than what I've done.
Dorman always confused the heck out of me, too many options!

i think OEM is something like
18 gal. steel aft axle tank
19 gal. midship tank
but crew cab/standard cab 4wd... etc. all evidently come into play.

i had put in a transfer flow front 40 gallon and they provided a sending unit..
TF might know about the rear sending unit...but stopped making the rear tank
i sold my front one used online..
.after finding it sitting for last 10 years in the old tank....
checked it out and it was good...someone snatched it up! keep yer eyes peeled...

you can spend a few hours trying to find one that looks right seems to me.
i have and just did spend another confusing 10 minutes looking at it.......

#12 ·
Cab type and drive type have NO bearing on fuel tank size. BED size determines front tank size (16 gallon short bed, 19 gallon long bed).

Both the sending units linked above go only up to 1990, according to Summit's web site. Dorman's own web site might shine more light.

#13 ·
Dorman's website does confirm they're for MY 86-90. The only thing Dorman sells related to the sending unit (for gas or diesel across all OBS models) is the black pickup screen for the diesel unit. I'll give it another couple days on ebay before I fallback on LMC.

#15 ·
@fordsvtparts thanks I appreciate it, but I will go with aftermarket. I do have a question for you though. In the item description, it says the sending unit fits both gas and diesel trucks. Is this true?

#17 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the help. I'm going to order the diesel unit from LMC today. My final question is if there's any difference between a diesel and a gas fuel filler neck. They only sell gasoline ones on LMC so I'm assuming they're interchangeable.

Edit: they are not, but a few modifications and you can put the wider diesel nozzle into a gas: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/94...e-discussion/762050-obs-fuel-filler-neck.html

#19 ·
Hey not sure if you ordered yet but i yanked mine pulled them apart cleaned the contact surfaces with elec parts cleaner and a scotch brite bent the tabs slightly then reassembeled.

That was about 4 years ago on a 95 truck that wasnt registering anything on the front tank, still working to this day.

I figured if its already bad what the hell with pulling it apart and cleaning it to try and make it work before i dropped 150+ on a sending unit from oreillys.

It worked and saved me cash on the resurrection of that truck from a front end wreak and a 5 year date with field mice and weather in a pasture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.