Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Part ID and purpose?

614 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  MeTo 
#1 ·
My truck started taking on water above the PCM. The seam sealant underneath the cowl, between the firewall and cab had deteriorated and cracked. When cleaning and prepping the seam; I noticed debris trapped below where the water runs down behind the fender liner. Their is a rectangle rubber restricter that appears to only allow water to flow down, but traps everything else. We live in the woods, so their was about 6" of crap in their. I removed them and flushed the cavity clean. What are they for? Do they need to be put back in? I would like to leave them out. They would need to be cleaned once a year and the cowl would need to be removed first, PITA.

#2 ·
Are these on the far left and right sides, in the wall that sorta wraps past the main firewall around the cab? The colloquial term is that of a certain part of a cow's anatomy. You should be able to reach them from underneath, or by removing the interior kick panels forward of the doors.

I think if you leave them out, a lot of stuff would be kicked up and in to that space from the tires.

#3 · (Edited)
That's the 'valve' for the vent system,
where all the water goes after entering the grill below the windshield....behind the hood.
all the leaves that go in those slots as well gotta go somewhere!
and if that 'valve' doesn't let them out....build up...
should be able to put a hose into the top and flush the whole system out that rubber do-hickey. it's plumbed for that.
my deformed enough to allow a mouse to crawl up into the heater and actually build a nest against the motor resistor bank.
this would have actually gone unnoticed as mice are always a problem here but the heater motor actually decided to burn a resistor one day in the mammoth mountain parking lot the minute I turned on the heat!

It was on fire blowing some gawd awful rat-turdy-insulation smoke into the cab! nasty!

after taking it all apart and cleaning it up, ordered new resistor bank for under $30.

i used a piece of screen to make a block for the rats and allow the snorkle to still work somewhat...

now you remind me to crawl under there 4 years on and have a looksie!
:hehe:

Attachments

#5 ·
Thanks for the info.

Living in the woods here, I could tell many stories about repairs on vehicles and buildings due to the little marauders.

I have some aluminum screen left over from the IC install. I'm going to look into installing some screen on top of the inner fender flaps that attach under the cab on each side and to the bottom side of the cowl it self. No debris should get in from the top or bottom?

#6 ·
Update, it's all back together. I put a coat of POR 15 on the seam and then a thick layer of seam sealer. That was a pia to achieve. I let it setup for a few hours and tested it with the garden hose. it's sea worthy. I had my wife's hair dry running during the repair to dry out the padding against the firewall and underneath the floor mat.

It looks to me, the primary access point for debris are the holes around the wiper shafts. I cut some screen and siliconed it to the bottom of the cowl.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.