1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 09-23-2016, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Srange Transmission Behavior

My trans will sometimes decide that it wants to be a PITA it will start locking the converter when it goes into 2nd gear. It shifts fine other then lugging the engine. If I manually shift from 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> OD it does not lock the converter until I'm well into 3rd. Once it starts doing that it keeps doing it until I stop and shut the truck down. Next time I start up it is fine and may not do it again for quite awhile. Altho the time in between freak outs seems to be getting shorter. In between issues it shifts and runs normal. I get no CEL's my OD light does not flash, fluid is clean and full, trans temps are normal, and it doesn't matter if I have my tune in or not. I changed it back to stock tune thinking it might be something with my Hydra. I'm not sure what to look at next or what the issue might me? Maybe electronics inside the trans?

1997 Crew Cab Long Bed 4X4 (DRW Conversion) Auto. 280K miles
Stainless Irate Bellowed Up Pipes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fresh Turbo with 1.0 Housing & Wicked Wheel II, 3" downpipe with 4" exhaust, Intercooled, 6.0 Fan, 39 gal rear fuel tank + 70 gal Transfer Flow in the bed, Hydroboost, Completely New Suspension (Springs, Shocks, Bushings),08 Rear Diff Cover, Baby Swamps, Hydra Chip with Swamps Tunes, and Swamps IDM, Dually Swap, Tru-Trac locker in the rear, Red Head Steering Box and Borgeson Steering Shaft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-23-2016, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
I have a similar issue with varying shift points and power levels.

You can unhook the batteries for a bit then take it on a drive and let the transmission go through a relearn and see if that helps.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-18-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone ever seen a trans problem like this. It has gotten so that almost every time I drive the truck the converter is having an issue. It will lock in 1st gear right after the truck gets moving and will stay locked. It will unlock if I come to a complete stop but it will lock again as I get it moving and it doesn't matter how much throttle I'm giving it. All of my brake lights are working and it seems like it is going through the gears themselves fine. I really can't afford a trans rebuild right now because I'm saving for a BTS. I'm afraid to drive it because I don't want to burn it up. Any suggestions?

Fresh Turbo with 1.0 Housing & Wicked Wheel II, 3" downpipe with 4" exhaust, Intercooled, 6.0 Fan, 39 gal rear fuel tank + 70 gal Transfer Flow in the bed, Hydroboost, Completely New Suspension (Springs, Shocks, Bushings),08 Rear Diff Cover, Baby Swamps, Hydra Chip with Swamps Tunes, and Swamps IDM, Dually Swap, Tru-Trac locker in the rear, Red Head Steering Box and Borgeson Steering Shaft

post #4 of 15 Old 01-18-2017, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
The controll wire that locks the torque converter is looking for a ground. If it is rubbing on the body somewhere and the insulation is worn of it could cause this issue.

00 f250 ext. cab, lb, 4x4, 146,000, zf 6 speed, South Bend 1944ofe, 4 in lift, 315/75/16 Duck Commander Mts, php hydra, Riff Raff frx, Riff Raff billet compressor wheel, Dorman up pipes,IAH delete, ccv mod, 6637 filter, auto meter gauges, scan guage 2, 4 in diamod eye straight pipe 6 in tip.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-18-2017, 05:20 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
I read a post the other day and shifting problems started after he put LED's in ,he put the resistors in line and the shifting cleared up . Just putting this out there.

97,7.3 PS auto. 3"down pipe,6637 cold air. muffler delete,Insight CTS2, PHP Hydra second owner.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-21-2017, 08:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had a similar problem, and come to find out, there was an external filter on the aux trans cooler lines. I was told by the repair shop that, while that seems like a good idea it is not! It reduced pressure by as much as 1/3. It ended up overheating my transmission and toasting it! Good luck!
post #7 of 15 Old 01-26-2017, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimR65 View Post
I had a similar problem, and come to find out, there was an external filter on the aux trans cooler lines. I was told by the repair shop that, while that seems like a good idea it is not! It reduced pressure by as much as 1/3. It ended up overheating my transmission and toasting it! Good luck!
Was your shifting problems caused by the auxiliary filter being clogged up because you didn't know it was there?

I haven't heard of an additional filter itself causing a problem, but can understand that one that is dirty and not flowing enough fluid would be bad.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-29-2017, 11:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
more than likley, the way that the filter was mounted, it was hard to see until the tranny shop saw it. He said it is better to change the main filter more often rather than add an inline filter like that.
ZMANN likes this.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-29-2017, 12:09 PM

Thanked 1,100 Times in 1,062 Posts
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
the main filter is really not all that great and does not filter 100% of the fluid

Ford used to specify an inline filter for the re manufactured install it was basically a magnapure unit and had a bypass spring to eliminate blockage should it clog

but later Ford did away with the requirement

I run a Deseilsite filter myself that will bypass at 25 psi differential between in and out

Please donate to DTR Ron's Memorial

We Miss you Ronnie

Last edited by ZMANN; 01-29-2017 at 12:13 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-01-2017, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

I'm still having this issue and it's driving me nuts. I have been experimenting with resistors on my LED's and swapping back to my stock lights without any real success. I went ahead and checked my magnetic straight through aux filter and it is clear but I took it out anyway and no change. My LED's and filter had been in for quite a long time like almost 2 years before this issue started. My next step is to try out pulling my trailer brake controller to see if there is any change. I really wish it would throw a flashing OD light code so I had somewhere to start but it is not helping me at all and I'm running out of ideas. Could it be the torque converter it's self starting to go bad? I thought those normally started making rattling noises but I have never had one go out on me before.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode