Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Please!! I need help..new truck won't run

5K views 42 replies 18 participants last post by  eyework 
#1 · (Edited)
FIXED----Please!! I need help..new truck won't run

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The tank selector valve fixed the problem I've put almost 200 miles on the truck in a day, and WOW it is a great truck. Thank you all for you help and info.

I tried to get the pics loaded but it says too large.....

Finally, I located a F250, 173k miles, 1997 powerstroke, seven houses down my street. It was not for sale but hadnt moved in over a year. I asked the owner, a plumber, what was the deal. He said he bought it from a fellow plumber almost 1 1/2 yrs earlies. After purchase he drove 90 miles to a job site, it quit on him. Had it towed to a mechanic, result= No problem found. Next day same trip, quit on him again. Well now a year later, and reading this form I figured it was a Cam sensor. So after a few beers, I convienced him to sell the non running truck. I changed the starter, batteries, fuel filter and cam sensor. It runs..SWEET. Im dancing in the rain! That night I drive it at least 10 miles all over town. Next morning, I'm thinkin what the hell, lets drive it to work, 30 miles. Well at 65 mpg and 10 miles in, FUEL FILTER light comes on and truck quits on freeway. Ten minutes later, fires right up and runs for 5 miles. afterwards no go. A diesel mechanic I know said drain fuel bowl and add tranny fluid....It runs!! dancing again. 10 miles later and 70mpg...quits on me again (this time NO dash light). I tow it to that mechanic friend's were it sits for a day. Today he tells me it fires right up and drives ALL OVER TOWN. NO PROBLEMS. He even let it idle for two hours, no misses or anything. says it purrs and runs darn good. WHAT!?!???

So here is what I know: supposidly, the computer was replaced at some point, both tanks were already full at purchase so I added diesel additive, the fuel gauge is way past full and doesnt move when i switch tanks.

My mechanic (diesel) think possibly that tank switch would be malfunctioning causing a problem in backflow and pressure. Tomorrow he will run the truck on a lift to recreate the problem

Another friend says he thinks a bad catalytic could cause this.

PLEASE HELP ME! I have been searching for a powerstroke and am super anxious to get this one on the road.

If you need any further info please ask and I will respond a.s.a.p

Thanks,

Terrell:icon_ford::dunno:

UPDATE 10/20/09

So today I spent my day off the shop where my truck is located. Remember the mechanic is doing this as a favor. So he mentioned he has witnessed no problem. Small test ride with me following, no problems. I take off again heading for the highway and the fuel filter light comes on. I head back to shop and he drains the fuel in bowl. Definately water in fuel. Then find that drain valve wont drain. He uses an airhose and covers the bowl with a white terry cloth.....MUD come up...LOTS OF MUD. So he cleans it thoroughly and adds ATF and it running again. Moment later down the road, filter light again. I open valve and let a little fuel out...light goes off but moments later the truck stops. 15 minutes later it starts and I get back to the shop. it eventually idles to it shuts off. The open the bowl and its LESS THAN HALF FULL and only has the ATF in there. So minutes later they fire it back up and by then Im frustrated and I left, 6 pm. So I believe everyone is right in that the tank has crud in it however I still need to figure why that bowl isnt full, if it should be.

Let me know what you think....Thanks

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

10/30/09 UPDATE !!

So today, I removed the FPR and cleaned the caked up screen near right 10mm bolt. I thoroughly cleaned it out and the metal mesh a the bottom of the unit.

So then, I did a pressure test during idle and 2k rpm. Note that I did fill the fuel bowl completely with tranny fluid first.

The initial reading at idle built up to 30-35 psi. I relieved the pressure and started again. Slowly it built back up

Once I went to 2k rpm, I dropped like a rock to 0. It stayed at zero until it went to idle. At idle, it slowly build back to just above 30.

Earlier in the day, we pressure tested the left port of the lift pump and it was about 6 psi (at idle)

Question: Does any of this sound normal operation, or normal of a failing lift pump.

I would like to move forward tomorrow (saturday) with your help and start enjoying the stroke.

Thanks again,

if you need more info please dont hesitate to ask.

Terrell

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

10-31-09

Thanks to everyone!!!

Problem fixed. NOT THE FUEL PUMP!!!

I spent today replacing the fuel pump. While there, I removed the fuel canister, blew all lines, replaced all hoses. After reinstallation and a new fuel pump, problem persisted. Idle fuel psi, just shy of 40 psi. At 2k rpm 0 psi. What ??!!?? So we looked at the next item in the fuel system...the fuel selector valve. I removed the feed line to the engine and placed it in a 2 1/2 gal container of diesel. IMMEDIATELY, upon idle, it shot to 40 + psi. At 2k rpm...70 psi. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!.. Unfortunately it is 5 pm and Saturday... so first thing monday I'll be at the ford stealership.!!

Thanks everyone, and when I'm done I"ll get those pics loaded.

Next questions will involve the HPOP and general maintaince of the Stroke!

Terrell

See less See more
#2 ·
Does the tach jump around while cranking?

#3 ·
yes it does

#4 ·
so you changed the cps already?if so try another one,i bought a bad one from autozone myself once.it kept dyin like a cps but i replaced and was getting so frustrated with truck.so someone told me to try another one just in case i got a bad one.so i through in a grey one and havent had a prob since,its worth a try.also when it dies does it just shutoff or sputter or what? we need some more info when it dies.could be the idm cutting out.

#6 ·
thanks for your help.. i did happen to get the gray one from Autozone. It does seem to sputter and cut out at higher rpm 2K or so and at 50-60mpg

so what do you think knowing that?

#5 ·
Ok correct me if im wrong. But it sounds like the truck sat for two years full of diesel. And you are still running the same fuel?

Drain the tanks. refill them. And replace the fuel filter again. Diesel cant sit for that long without a good additive in it

#7 ·
I thought about doing that but my mechanic said dont worry about it. Maybe he didnt realize the true lenght of time it had been sitting.

Any easy way to drain them WITHOUT dropping the tanks?

thanks for you reply...

Terrrell

#8 ·
yea if the fuel has been sitting that long it could be your problem.that what i would do first.get some good fuel in it first.as far as draing the tank,ive never done but im sure someone will chime in on that.

#10 ·
I would say new fuel first up. then new filters and another cps. Drive it and see what happens. Is this truck 100% stock?

#12 ·
thanks for your time...the truck is 100% stock

#13 ·
I agree with the other guys. Drain the old fuel out of the tanks, and replace it with fresh fuel. I would buy a couple fuel filters, in case some crud gets mixed up off the bottom of the tanks from the refueling. (just in case)

As for the CPS. It's always possible to get a bad part from stock, even if it's new. Besides, it's always good to have a spare as well. (just in case)

mike

#14 ·
Drain the fuel bowl replace filter fill fuel bowl then try to crank. And repeat if necessary. Check fuel pressure on the valve on FPR ( fuel pressure regulator ) I would still shiphon out all the old fuel I could get out and refuel first. AND there is a very good chance you can buy a bad CPS because I have.

#15 ·
i wonder about fuel problems. maybe fuel pump? when its dies, open the filter bowl, is the bowl full? maybe the pressure side of the pump is going out, after the engine heats the pump it cant keep pressure. thoughts?

#16 ·
Thank you to everyone for you help. When it died I did open the fuel bowl. in addition to having alot of pressure, there was fuel HALF WAY up the filter.
I think the info about the pump is good. Could the pump still be the problem even after what I described?

THANK YOU EVERYONE

#17 ·
It's tough to say. We've had A LOT of fuel (HEUI) pumps go out here in the last couple months. I don't know what their "life expectancy" is, but a lot of folks here have had to replace them. They just get old, and the internal seals go out. Fortunately, it's a pretty simple fix.

As for the pump going out. Is there fuel in your engine valley? If not, then your pump probably isn't on it's way out yet. You could still opt to change it out if you like. Not sure how many miles you've got on your truck. Pumps anywhere from $100 - $200, and you'll need an 1 1/4" box end wrench. No other special tools or anything. (you'd also want to change out all your soft fuel lines while you're in there) Most shops bill/ expect this job to take about 4 hours.

mike

#18 · (Edited)
the lift side fills the bowl right? and the pressure side sucks from the bowl and pushes down the line. which side of the pump leaks out the weep hole? pressure i assume?

thats a good point. im not saying its a definate, but its worth a check, also someone brought up a good point on the fpr.

you said the bowl was half full, i ask becuase i dont know for sure, is the pickup in the bowl the rod that sticks up in the center of the filter?

#19 ·
Thanks for your continued support. I am updating my original post with what happened today.

Thanks Everyone

#20 ·
Have you check the oil level in the hpop?

#22 ·
excuse my lack of knowledge but what is hpop and how do I check it?

thanks

#21 ·
Re-read you new, edited original post. I'd say if the lift pump is pulling up "mud" it can't be good for the pump. It's made for liquid, not solids and slurry (try sucking a thick milkshake through a straw.) It may be a lot of work, but I'd drop the tanks, pull the senders, and clean everything out. Blow out the fuel lines (again) and probably replace the fuel pump, since that much crap going through it can't be good. Best of luck man, I know it's hard to bring back a truck that's been abused.

#24 ·
No, no inertia switch. :thumb:

#25 ·
Somebody that's smart on the OBS correct me if I'm wrong, but if the bowl was only half full, then the pump is definately bad.

The bowl on my SD is completely full when I take the lid off. And when my pump quit and truck died. It wouldn't run with the bowl half full. I had to completely fill the bowl with the can of diesel to get it to run long enough to get it on the trailer.

#26 ·
Well, I'd be inclined to agree. I'm not absolutely sure, but I believe the fuel bowl needs to be full. But, with that being said, if the truck is sucking sludge of the bottom of the tanks, then that may have killed the pump. The tanks would have to be addressed first, then the pump.

mike

#27 ·
Its all starting to make very logical sense now!! What is the easiest way to address the tanks? can they be dropped/lowered or is that tooo difficult? or should I just pump the diesel out and if so how?

Thanks everyone
Terrell

#28 ·
i would say drop them and have them cleaned. then the lines flushed. then repalce the pump. remove the fuel bowl and clean it.

im glad you finally found the problem!

#29 ·
You'll have to go completely through the bowl and the FPR. Normally they are really ugly inside. In this situation you might want to consider a new unit. It will be cheaper for you in the long run. You try to push fuel through a clogged bowl and FPR you'll loose another pump. Most parts are available for the FPR but not all. Check Powerstrokeshop.

#31 ·
iirc rockauto has FPR parts for a good price too...

#32 ·
Bump... new update and info.

Thanks EVERYONE

#33 ·
This might make it a bit easier.

wannapowerstroke update below.

10/30/09 UPDATE !!

So today, I removed the FPR and cleaned the caked up screen near right 10mm bolt. I thoroughly cleaned it out and the metal mesh a the bottom of the unit.

So then, I did a pressure test during idle and 2k rpm. Note that I did fill the fuel bowl completely with tranny fluid first.

The initial reading at idle built up to 30-35 psi. I relieved the pressure and started again. Slowly it built back up

Once I went to 2k rpm, I dropped like a rock to 0. It stayed at zero until it went to idle. At idle, it slowly build back to just above 30.

Earlier in the day, we pressure tested the left port of the lift pump and it was about 6 psi (at idle)

Question: Does any of this sound normal operation, or normal of a failing lift pump.

I would like to move forward tomorrow (saturday) with your help and start enjoying the stroke.

Thanks again,

if you need more info please dont hesitate to ask.

Thanks Terrell

#34 ·
New pump is the next step. Should see 60 lbs of so IIRC. Your testing pressure at the schrader valve?

#35 ·
Yes I am testing at the schrader valve!

What is IIRC?

Thanks

#36 ·
Your fuel pump sound shot. Mine at wide open throttle only drops to the mid 40's

#37 ·
If you want to drain the fuel witout droping the tanks, your only other option is to take of the bed, pop the top, and pump the fuel out. Its only 6 bolts, a couple wires, and your fuel fill tube. It's probably easier then droping two full tanks of fuel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.