265/75 tires on stock OBS rims... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
265/75 tires on stock OBS rims...

I went to Discount Tire and they recommended I get a 8" or 8.5" wheel for 265/75R16 tires. They mentioned uneven wear etc.

Keep in mind, this truck won't be pulling much, if ever. If there are no issues putting them on, I'd just assume keep the stock wheels (although I do need some hub caps).

Also, what PSI are you running on your 2WD OBS, both front and rear, without pulling?

Thanks and look forward to your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thats bs my buddy has 265's on his stock obs alcoas
Old 10-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thats what I thought, I saw some on an OBS and I didn't think there would be uneven tread wear or anything.

What about PSI? I want to go with E loaded tires, just for the reassurance and the fact that they aren't that much more expensive.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Interior Guru

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I ran 55-65psi in my E rated tires up front, and like 50-55 in the back, unless I was towing, then I went to 60-70 in the back.

I leave a little bulge in the tires.

I run D rated tires now, and go with 55psi all around and they wear well.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The same guy that told me I should go with a 8" wheel told me that I had to go with E rated tires. This is Discount Tire which seems to be a sponsor on this forum as well.

Since I don't tow or pull, I thought about going with a D rated tire for a little more comfortable tire and he said that I had to go with an E rated tire.

Since it does get hot down here and the roads I drive aren't usually all that great, I would mind the extra couple of ply's as well as there isn't much different in the price. Therefore I'm leaning towards a E loaded, or 10 ply tire. In particular, the Hankook tire, seems to get good reviews, decent tread life, and just an all around nice looking tire.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Interior Guru

If your not going to be towing, then load range D is perfect. You will kick yourself if you get the E rated tire. They right HARD when empty. Which is why I dont have them anymore. I tow a max of 7000lbs behind my truck, and the D's keep up with that perfectly fine.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So you would recommend I go with a D rated tire. They would hate me then, mount a 265/75 D rated tire (who cares).

Why are the D rated the same prices as the E rated?
Would the E rated tires resist blowouts/flates more than the D rated due to the extra plys?
Old 10-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Interior Guru

They will sell you what you want, if you dont take their suggestion, they cant NOT sell you a tire...

D rated and E Rated tires are very similar, i think 8 ply to 10 ply... but both are heavier duty tires. F150's and regular trucks run a class C tire usually, and when people lift them, they goto a D class tire because thats what most companys offer now... But like suburbans, and F150s, 1500's, they all come with class C tires, so anything over that and the price is higher, but usually D and E arent but a few bucks apart. Its all in what your doing with the truck. if its a Daily Driver, and you tow very little, id go D, if you tow alot, and still daily drive it, then get E.

Yes, the E-rated tires have a more durable sidewall, but ride like it too. You'll feel every bump in the road, and crack, and pebble lol

Dont take my suggestion as everyone, let everyone else chime in. But I am running 265's on my OBS wheels...

Old 10-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

By the way, nice looking OBS and thanks for your comments. Where did you get your hub caps? My wheels are in decent shape but I'd like to find some decent hubs to cover up the bolts and to clean up the truck a bit.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Interior Guru

Thanks!

I got them from Ford... But I know they can be had on ebay, or a hubcap website for cheaper.

If I had the sites, id give them to you.

Thats what the forum is for! to help everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.